« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 194 posts | 
by DChan on Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:11 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:
MND wrote:The Northrop's and the vast majority of YouTubers have zero credibility IMHO.
You’re not alone in your thinking, thus the quotation marks around it in my post(“Tony”)! The remarks after the article indicate the same. Here’s a prior discussion on the same subject:

https://www.naturescapes.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=257477

Every reader can take him as they will. I offer no opinions on him, myself.

Joe
Why some of you even watch those videos then? By watching their videos you're helping them. Northrop did say on their videos that their opinions were based on a pre-production camera. IMO the sensible thing to do is to stay neutral at this point re the camera.

FWIW, I use Nikon myself since film days.

Good that I never pre-order anything :)

by SantaFeJoe on Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:15 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
DChan wrote:

Why some of you even watch those videos then? By watching their videos you're helping them.
Funny you ask. I’ve never watched them, only posted links!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

That’s why I offer no opinions of him, as I said!

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by MND on Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:02 am
MND
Forum Contributor
There are some very good informative videos on YouTube, no doubt about it. The recent videos of the Z7 from so called impartial “reviewers” were just unbelievable, so negative even from people who have never even seen one. They are desperate to get hits on their channels, that’s the only thing that seems to matter to them. I guess they’re in disaster recovery mode now all their ridiculous claims are being shot down.

by Gary Irwin on Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:08 am
Gary Irwin
Forum Contributor
Well I just picked up a Z7 and can tell you with certainty that the Northrups, Fro, Thom etc. are right on point — perhaps even too kind — with their assessement of this camera and in particular with their criticism of the it’s AF performance. Unless Nikon can pull a rabbit out of their hat with firmware updates, when it’s all said and done I predict no serious photographer will be using the Z7 for any type of action. It really is that bad. Otherwise it’s a great little camera which will work well along side my D850. :)
Gary Likes Nature.

by MND on Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:55 am
MND
Forum Contributor
If you bought the Z7 for action you bought the wrong camera. Try an A9.

As for AF, well all I can say is my Sigma 135 f/1.8 is better on the Z7 than the D850.  

I didn't buy mine for action but as a lightweight version of the D850 for hiking and in that regard it suits me just fine.

As for the you tubers, well lets just say I disagree with you and leave it at that.

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:59 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Tamron lens owners, note that your lenses will not currently work with the Nikon Z and adapter:
https://www.dpreview.com/news/019785603 ... patibility

by david fletcher on Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:22 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
MND wrote:There are some very good informative videos on YouTube, no doubt about it. The recent videos of the Z7 from so called impartial “reviewers” were just unbelievable, so negative even from people who have never even seen one. They are desperate to get hits on their channels, that’s the only thing that seems to matter to them.

Plus one.  They get paid on the number of clicks.  Never bought a camera based on the "review" crowd and have learnt from past Northrup's efforts, not to bother with any of their reviews.  
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by SantaFeJoe on Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:42 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
On this page, Thom mentions new adapters for Z and RF mounts from Novoflex:

http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/

Novoflex page here:

https://www.novoflex.de/en/products-637 ... rless.html

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Gary Irwin on Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:41 pm
Gary Irwin
Forum Contributor
MND wrote:If you bought the Z7 for action you bought the wrong camera. Try an A9.

As for AF, well all I can say is my Sigma 135 f/1.8 is better on the Z7 than the D850.  

I didn't buy mine for action but as a lightweight version of the D850 for hiking and in that regard it suits me just fine.

As for the you tubers, well lets just say I disagree with you and leave it at that.
I’ve looked at the A9 but it doesn't have enough pixels for my liking and Sony doesn’t have the superteles I want either (yet). So I’ll keep shooting my D850 for action until/when someone releases a mirrorless that can replace it...but considering the raw horsepower needed to drive such a high-resolution sensor with top-notch AF I don’t think that camera is going to be available anytime soon from Sony or anyone else.

So I’ll hang onto my beloved D850+600E for birds and use the sweet little Z7 for everything else ... and video! 

Sounds like we’re thinking more or less alike...well except for the youtubers.  :mrgreen:
Gary Likes Nature.

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:00 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
The vignetting on that 24-70 f/4 throughout the entire zoom range is about the worst I've ever seen (except for Canon 24-105 DSLR lenses on the 24mm end of the scale) on any lens - so much for the new wider lens mount...  Really disappointing lens from that aspect.

by Gary Irwin on Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:56 am
Gary Irwin
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:The vignetting on that 24-70 f/4 throughout the entire zoom range is about the worst I've ever seen (except for Canon 24-105 DSLR lenses on the 24mm end of the scale) on any lens - so much for the new wider lens mount...  Really disappointing lens from that aspect.
Yes, it looks like in trying to keep the 24-70S as small and light as possible, Nikon erred in that aspect. Apparently the extreme corners are soft as well. But there's no denying it's one of the better 24-70's on the market especially considering the size, weight and price. It easily satisfies my casual landscape needs.

This report from Photography life sums it up pretty well...

https://photographylife.com/nikon-z-24-70mm-f-4-s-performance-overview
Gary Likes Nature.

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:21 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
On the other hand the Canon 28-70 f/2, while super large, super heavy and unstabilized, is the best 135 format standard zoom ever made from an IQ perspective. Too bad it is projecting its image on what, in 2018, is at best a mediocre sensor and that's probably being kind. But the lenses Canon is building for their mirrorless system are definitely top notch from what I've seen so far - hopefully they will build a camera that is worthy of optics like that.

by Neilyb on Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:41 pm
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
That Canon sensor replaced the one in the 5DIII, which was horrific at best compared to the competition (Sony). Now the 5D4 sensor, although behind the great and mighty Sony, was a giant leap for Canon users. I am hoping for another giant leap in "whatever comes next" but at the same time my 5D4 is still a great all rounder (but not a D850) and I am sure Canon will sell shed loads of R bodies, especially as they saw the market for unique lenses. Eitherway we have never had it sooooo good, whatever you shoot.

by SantaFeJoe on Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:10 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Z7 autofocus article:

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon- ... s-review/5

Joe

by MND on Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:47 pm
MND
Forum Contributor
Another horrible review for the crappy Z7

http://www.naturalart.ca/voice/blog.html#Z7_3weeks

by DChan on Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:48 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
MND wrote:Another horrible review for the crappy Z7

Errr...why is it a "horrible" review, Mike ?? Any facts and objective reasoning behind your conclusion about that review, that it's a horrible review? Based on your personal experience of the camera, which part of Brad Hill's review and his understanding of the camera is wrong? How about a review from you, Mike??

by MND on Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:31 pm
MND
Forum Contributor
DChan wrote:
MND wrote:Another horrible review for the crappy Z7

Errr...why is it a "horrible" review, Mike ?? Any facts and objective reasoning behind your conclusion about that review, that it's a horrible review? Based on your personal experience of the camera, which part of Brad Hill's review and his understanding of the camera is wrong? How about a review from you, Mike??
Well let’s face it, all the negative reviews from totally unbiased youtubers and people reading specs without even touching a camera or lens have to be right don’t they. 

I was just going with the flow. 

I’m not a reviewer, what do I know after using it for 3 weeks. 

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:25 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Z7 Fantastic but Flawed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlRMpqpNKG4

by MND on Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:46 pm
MND
Forum Contributor
Yep, yet another YouTuber.

They ALL have their agenda's. They're all wannabe Nikon Ambassadors or Canon whatevers or Sony Masters of Something or other.

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:28 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
MND wrote:Yep, yet another YouTuber.

They ALL have their agenda's. They're all wannabe Nikon Ambassadors or Canon whatevers or Sony Masters of Something or other.
Did you watch the video or is this just a general commentary on all YouTube reviews?  Despite being a Nikon photographer and stating it in this and virtually all of his videos, he had quite a few honest and even harsh criticisms that would preclude me from accusing him of sucking up to Nikon to become an ambassador...

194 posts |