« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 194 posts | 
by Brian Stirling on Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:25 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Member #:00446
With only three of the new Z lenses and a not 'out of the park' performance I think waiting for the next version is the better choice even though you can use F lenses with the adapter.

Brian

by Anthony Medici on Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:16 pm
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
Nikon currently has a discount for the FTZ adapter if you buy a Z body before the end of the year. Waiting on the next body means not getting a free adapter for existing lenses. After all, you're likely to need the adapter for any long lens for the next several years before Nikon actually decides to go past the 70-200 they have on their timeline.

Personally, I decided to wait it out since I didn't want to deal with the leading edge stuff and I have 3 very good (if heavier) bodies already.
Tony

by Brian Stirling on Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:19 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
I hear ya, I'm still using the D800E so have passed up the 810 and 850 though I was REAL tempted by the 850. At this point mirrorless is the way to go, but the Z6/Z7 are not ready as best I can see at this point even with a discounted F lens adapter. The biggest problem I have is that it might be three or more years before the next Z7 comes out.

At this point if I had to chose it would be the 850 hands down.

Brian

by DChan on Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:36 am
DChan
Forum Contributor
I don't get that "mirrorless is the way to go" thinking. It's not like your photographs will look better if taken with a mirrorless camera. I've been shooting mirrorless for a few years now and I still see no reason dumping my dslr cameras. I might even buy another dslr in the near future...you never know.

BTW, I wonder if it's possible that the Z6 may AF better than the Z7 can.

Yup, should have kept the Sony :-)

Is it really a good idea to buy a Z body now just to get that adaptor at a discount, knowing pretty sure that you'd get the newer body once it's out??

by Anthony Medici on Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:22 pm
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
I decided to forgo the discount on the adapter since I just purchased a second D850 instead of a Z body. That will allow me to wait two or three years (Maybe more) before I really need to purchase the next camera unless something amazing happens.

As to the "mirrorless is the way to go" thinking, I think that the lower cost to manufacture and fewer parts will be the deciding factor between dSLRs and mirrorless cameras. That being said, in 10 years, there will be very few dSLRs still being made.
Tony

by Brian Stirling on Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:57 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Well, the mirrorless is the way to go thing for me has to do with a number of factors.  First, a bit smaller and lighter.  Second, new options for glass since the mount can be closer to the focal plane.  Third, the elimination of the mirror gets rid of a noise source that is particularly helpful doing in-door photo-shoots but can also help with skittish animals when close to them.  Fourth, although there are still advantages to a penta-prism based optical view finder and that's likely to continue for some time there are advantages to an EVF in that you can more easily project useful data in the EVF, things like a histogram and zebra -- in addition, you can get a better feel for the exposure when you see how it looks in the EVF.  Lastly, there is the potential to have a dramatically faster frame rate when shooting stills than the roughly 10fps max for a DSLR -- isn't one of the Sony's around 20fps.

There are still things a traditional DSLR is better at, but those areas are declining while the advantages continue to grow.

But, as I mentioned before, at this point the Z6/Z7 are not enough to warrant a change to mirrorless for me so it I were to choose it would be the 850 today.  OTH, I'm still rocking my 6 year old D800E and have no plans to switch to either the Z7 or the D850.  I'll probably keep using the D800E until the next Z flagship comes out and perhaps jump to that if it makes sense.

Brian

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:07 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I've only spent a couple of hours with the Z7 and the AF is surprisingly bad compared to virtually any other current mirrorless camera body on the market.  There are even some contrast detect only cameras that have less trouble focusing in low contrast situations.  Otherwise the ergo is very good compared to most mirrorless cameras including the EOS-R and all Sony cameras.  I played around with it and the 24-70 f/4 which is a decent consumer grade lens but nothing to get overly excited about especially at the price and doesn't really live up to the promise of the wider lens mount.  Perhaps at $600 or so I'd be a bit more excited about that lens than I am at $1000.  Overall the Z7 is a decent entry as long as you can live with the AF but is WAY overpriced at $400 more than a much more capable a7R III, but it does have better ergonomics...

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:39 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Review of z6 here:

https://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/nikon_z6_review

Or probably best described as a description.

And another:

https://www.thephoblographer.com/2018/11/29/first-impressions-nikon-z6-a-more-affordable-lower-resolution-z7/

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Brian Stirling on Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:53 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Yeah, the promise of the wider lens mount for Z glass is interesting and I expect we'll see some genuine great lenses in the Z format in the coming years, but the current offerings seem a little rushed.  It will be interesting to see what Sigma and Tamron etc do in this space.

The AF appears to be a subject where some people seem to be glowing in praise while others are more to the scathing end of the spectrum -- this uncertainty is troublesome.  

Hopefully Nikon releases an update for the Z7 within 18 months and hopefully they'll address the Z lens shortage and performance issues, particularly AF.  I would also like to see a much higher frame rate and bigger buffer.  

The wrinkle here is what to do about Canon's rumor about 75MP -- 75MP seems to be pushing thing further than mortal glass is likely to justify and would make shooting above about f/5.6 something of a diminishing returns problem not just from a diffraction standpoint but also a buffer and frame rate issue.

One thing Nikon really needs to fix is there perpetually terrible wifi/blutooth connectivity -- as cameras get more digital we can see how several cameras might be controlled, remotely, by a single operator using a tablet and motion controlled camera mounts.  To that end there would need to be remote zoom as well.

Brian

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:15 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Thom’s very lengthy review of the z7:

https://www.sansmirror.com/cameras/came ... eview.html

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by MND on Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:15 am
MND
Forum Contributor
I can not believe the negativity on this forum.

What color is the sky on your planet. It certainly isn’t blue.

I’m done.

Bye

by david fletcher on Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:02 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
SantaFeJoe wrote:Thom’s very lengthy review of the z7:

https://www.sansmirror.com/cameras/came ... eview.html

Joe
Read that top to bottom.  Thanks Joe.  

Many points of interest.  
Good review.  
Best I've seen.  

I'd buy one if it were shopping time, in a heartbeat; but having only had the D850 months, it's a little early.   :).   
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:11 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
As posted earlier by E.J., here is a continuing blog review of the z7, for those of you who want to follow:

https://blog.kasson.com/?s=z7

Joe

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:59 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
DPReview has published their full Z6 review:
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-z6

194 posts |