« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by SantaFeJoe on Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:42 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Here’s a link to a review of the Sony 100-400 f4.5-5.6 GM lens.

https://photographylife.com/reviews/sony-fe-100-400mm-f4-5-5-6-gm-oss

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Phil Shaw on Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:12 pm
Phil Shaw
Forum Contributor
Member #:00106
His main gripe is weather sealing. What he's talking about though would require an airtight seal (zooming would be difficult) - or some kind of sealed gas reservoir which serviced the volume expansion when the zoom extended. Of course there are a couple of ways to avoid the issues he's talking about - you could learn to use the gear in a variable environment where humidity and temperature vary, or if you can't be bothered with that, just get your self down to Diagonal Ally and get yourself a wand.
Phil Shaw
Essex, UK
[color=#008000][url]http://www.naturephotopro.com[/url][/color]

by Jens Peermann on Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:04 pm
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
Phil Shaw wrote:His main gripe is weather sealing.  What he's talking about though would require an airtight seal (zooming would be difficult) - or some kind of sealed gas reservoir which serviced the volume expansion when the zoom extended.  Of course there are a couple of ways to avoid the issues he's talking about - you could learn to use the gear in a variable environment where humidity and temperature vary, or if you can't be bothered with that, just get your self down to Diagonal Ally and get yourself a wand.

I have used mine in humid and cold conditions without moisture building up, condensing and becoming visible on the inside of the lens. Which makes me wonder if it is possible that moisture got trapped in that lens during assembly on a humid day and then became visible as the lens cooled down.
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:30 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I had the same reaction to the review as Phil. It's the best lens of it's kind by a significant margin.

4 posts |