« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 2 posts | 
by SantaFeJoe on Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:34 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Here’s a review of the Hassleblad medium format X1D-50C:

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/hasselblad-x1d-50c

One interesting thing is that it is compatible with Nikon speedlights.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:59 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Yeah that was part of the appeal of the camera from the beginning.  Phase One is ProFoto compatible, Hasselblad digital back platform is Metz compatible, so it was a bit of a surprise when the X1D came out with a Nikon compatible flash architecture but at the time of the X1D announcement, Metz was in bankruptcy...

The X1D was super buggy and laggy when first introduced.  They have steadily improved it to the point where it is a formidable camera, it's only vice being very slow start-up time and a very limited line of lenses and the ones they have announced are very late.  They had announced four new lenses for delivery in the first half of 2018 - just one is even orderable and you will wait months for it.  The rest are now said to not even be sampling until next year.  H has become a company that announces a lot of stuff but rarely delivers it even within 6 months of the announced date.

All that said, when there is a 100mp X2D and lenses that will do what I need, I will consider it as a much lighter replacement for my spine numbingly heavy Phase One system.  Similarly I will be evaluating the 100mp Fuji GFX follow-on.  The sensors for these cameras are already commercially available in aerial surveillance systems which is where new medium format sensors usually cut their teeth.

2 posts |