Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
by DaveBrown on Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:40 am
DaveBrown
Forum Contributor
I purchased a used Canon 7d mk II from KEH outlet on ebay. The camera looks immaculate and was rated in perfect condition (96% new condition with only 3,000 shutter actuations)

I shot with the camera for a couple of hours with a Canon 300mm f4 + 1.4 extender II without issue.

The following day, when I turned the camera on I got an Error 01 " faulty lens connection with camera, clean lens contacts" error. I cleaned the contacts, but the error persisted intermittently.

Later that day I attached my Canon 70-200mm (non IS_ l series) lens and after some shooting I got the same error 01.

I tried my 105 mm sigma macro and have NOT been able to get to error message on that lens. 

I have never gotten this error before with my previous body (canon 30D).

Additional Notes

The error seems to happen most regularly when shooting a burst at continuous shooting at 10 fps.

It seems that once I get the error I can get it to go away (most of the time) by just tilting the lens and camera up and down a couple of times, or by shutting the camera off and on. Also occasionally by half pressing the shutter button a few times.I have also gotten it to disappear by switching the IS off and on  (with my 300 f4, the 70-200 is non IS).

I have cleaned the contacts on the lenses and checked the locking pin on the camera itself.

** I was using a very old memory card- something like a 200x compact flash- not sure if that would make a difference.

Everything else on the camera seems perfect. It just seems odd that my two Canon lenses that never gave me issues on my 30D suddenly may have an issue (cable etc)? It's also odd that the sigma lens seems to be flawless. 

If it was the camera body, I would assume the issue would present itself with all lenses?

I have a 6 month warranty on the camera body, so I'm trying to figure out if I should be keeping this body or not. Has anyone experienced similar issues, or does anyone have any advice?

Dave Brown

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:12 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
One thing to check is to tighten down the lens mount screws o both camera and lenses. If they come loose, this can lead to inconsistent contact between the lens and body's electronic contacts. Of course cleaning contacts on both the lens and the body is important. It's best to do that with a cotton swab and some 91% Isopropyl Alcohol available in any drug store.

by WDCarrier on Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:51 pm
WDCarrier
Forum Contributor
I agree with E.J. I had this same problem when I was in Brazil and found the screws on the 1.4 extender took about 1/4 turn in tightening and the problem went away.
[font=Helvetica, sans-serif]“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” MLK[/font]

by DaveBrown on Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:01 pm
DaveBrown
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:One thing to check is to tighten down the lens mount screws o both camera and lenses.  If they come loose, this can lead to inconsistent contact between the lens and body's electronic contacts.  Of course cleaning contacts on both the lens and the body is important.  It's best to do that with a cotton swab and some 91% Isopropyl Alcohol available in any drug store.

I have checked the mounting screws and they all seem tight.

Today, I noticed that I got the Error 01 as soon as I turned the camera on. After several times of turning it on and off etc, the error finally went away. Even before the error shows I know it's coming because the aperture reads 00.

Then after the aperture was reading normally I took some shots with the 300 f4 with and without the 1.4 extender. I noticed that the view in the view finder seemed to be jumping around. Most often down and to the right, but in other directions intermittently.

I mounted this lens combo on my 30D and I don't get any errors and the view doesn't jump around.

I can't understand why I'm having issues with my two Canon lenses on the 7D2 but my Sigma macro works flawlessly.

Thanks for your reply any other advice that you can offer.

Dave

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:29 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
I would return the camera to KEH.

by DaveBrown on Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:17 pm
DaveBrown
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:I would return the camera to KEH.

Update:

I was able to try two different Canon 100-400mm lenses on my 7D 2 today and both lenses worked perfectly. When those people tried my 300mm f4 on their 7D 2's they experienced the image jumping in the view finder, as I did.Oddly the image does not jump around in the view finder on my 30D. They did not get the error 01 with my lens, but then again I took over 400 images before I got it myself today, so it's possible they just didn't give it enough time.

It would appear that there is an issue with the IS on my 300mm f4 and I wonder if this would cause the error 01 as well? That sill doesn't explain why I get the error 01 with my 70-200 L. It is an 8 year old lens, so maybe it also has an issue as well? It doesn't have IS, so that can't be the issue with that one though.

Dave

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:43 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Oh, you didn't say that the image was jumping around in your initial post or at least I didn't see that. That would indicate IS failure.

by Paul Fusco on Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:13 am
Paul Fusco
Forum Contributor
If the image jumping around is a symptom of IS failure, then would turning off the IS make the lens workable, albeit without IS?

Paul
[b]Paul J. Fusco
NSN 0120[/b]

NSN Portfolio
http://www.naturescapes.net/portfolios/portfolio.php?cat=10317

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:23 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Paul Fusco wrote:If the image jumping around is a symptom of IS failure, then would turning off the IS make the lens workable, albeit without IS?

Paul
While that is common thinking, it usually compromises image quality severely.  the IS element is a floating element and when it fails it is not in the proper place optically so you can severely degrade IQ.  Also, some IS failures result in the IS unit not shutting off even when switched off.

by Paul Fusco on Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:12 am
Paul Fusco
Forum Contributor
Good to know. Thank you EJ!

Paul
[b]Paul J. Fusco
NSN 0120[/b]

NSN Portfolio
http://www.naturescapes.net/portfolios/portfolio.php?cat=10317

10 posts |