« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by wdg on Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:06 pm
wdg
Forum Contributor
http://www.centralds.net
Looking at the cooled 850

I'm intrigued but wonder if anyone knows more about this company?

by Cynthia Crawford on Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:27 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Never heard of them or their product. What is your interest?
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Anthony Medici on Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:54 am
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
I've seen pictures from the D850 version of that product posted on the Astrophotography community on Google+. I've not seen a version of the modification in person. The results are quite nice. The owner seemed happy with the camera.

There is an however though. That is at the cost of using the normal view finder on the camera making the camera into mirrorless camera. You also cannot take a sub second shot with the mechanical shutter, it requires the use of the electronic shutter. It also needs power from an external source for cooling purposes. The manual warns that a blower should not be used to clean dust off the sensor.

The converted camera is obviously for use for long exposure photography from a tripod with power available only. It is meant for Astrophotography though if you can carry a batter pack for the power supply, it could also be used for long exposure landscape work.
Tony

by Scott Fairbairn on Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:52 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
I don't know the company, but personally, I think you are just modding and "wrecking" a good DSLR when there are stellar sensors abound on dedicated astro cameras already. I don't really see the advantage to doing this type of modding to a current camera over picking up a dedicated astro camera, or at the very least, getting a previous generation model to tinker with. The fabulous 36megapixel sensor from the D800 series is available in a dedicated astro camera.
Just my opinion of course!

by wdg on Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:54 pm
wdg
Forum Contributor
Thanks all for input
Cindy - I'm very interested in astrophotography/long exposure and thought the camera looked intriguing
Tony - thanks much for comments. I appreciate the 'however' :)
Scott - thanks and yes you are probably correct that purchasing a dedicated Astro camera is probably the way to go. As mentioned above I thought the cooled 850 was something to think about. I love my non-cooled ones so …

5 posts |