All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 13 posts | 
by John Blumenkamp on Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:18 pm
John Blumenkamp
Regional Moderator
Member #:00770
Hi, I am doing some traveling and looking for any recommendations for a lightweight tripod that will handle the Canon 500 f/4 II.  I would like to find a 4-section tripod.

Any recommendations or opinions would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Last edited by John Blumenkamp on Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:47 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Here’s a link to an earlier thread on the subject:

https://www.naturescapes.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=269778

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

Last edited by SantaFeJoe on Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:19 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
This may be pertinent, as well.

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=268903

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:08 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Duplicate post deleted.
Joe

Last edited by SantaFeJoe on Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Anthony Medici on Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:39 pm
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
It might depend on how tall you are since the tripods I like to use are too short for taller people.
Tony

by John Blumenkamp on Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:36 pm
John Blumenkamp
Regional Moderator
Member #:00770
Joe - thanks for the links.  Much appreciated!

Tony - I'm 6'-3" and have been using a Gitzo 3530L, which isn't quite tall enough for me (I use it with a RRS BH-55 ballhead and Wimberley Sidekick).  I've looked at tripods like the Gitzo 2543L (part of their Mountaineer series) and like it for both weight/height and compact size for traveling.  Some have told me they have used it with a 500 f/4, but I'm skeptical and wonder which head would work best on a tripod of that size.

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:06 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
An RRS BH-40 or 30 would be nice on that tripod, but they are pricey. Technique is important, but IS/VR helps with a lighter tripod.

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/heads/ballheads

Joe

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:48 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I would not consider a 2 series Gitzo to have enough torsional rigidity for photography with a 500 f/4 in any significant amount of wind. You at least want a 3 series and if it's a 4 leg section model to get the extra height you might want to even look at a 4 series.

by Gary Irwin on Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:40 am
Gary Irwin
Forum Contributor
Gitzo Series 3 would be likely be the best compromize, but if you’re not planning on hiking long distances it wouldn’t hurt to go bigger. I used a Gitzo 3541XLS (current model is the 3543XLS) for years with my old Nikon 500G and thought it to be “adequate”. When I traded my 500mm up to the new 600mm (same weight, just bigger) I grew more concious that the Series 3 Gitzo was’t quite as solid as I wanted so ended up buying an Induro GIT505XXL which I use with the spiked feet....even though it has 5-leg sections is far stiffer than the Gitzo 3. The Canon 500mm IS II will be smaller and almost 2 lbs lighter so a Gitzo 3 should work, but that would be the smallest I’d consider.
Gary Likes Nature.

by flygirl on Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:12 am
flygirl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00824
John try looking at the Feisol tripods. I have two of them, one full standard and one for traveling. The one for traveling is the CT-3442. I find them very good and much more reasonable priced than the Gitzo.

by photoman4343 on Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:18 am
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
John I now use a Induro tripod with my 500mm f4. I do not hike with it or travel by air with it. The model I have is a five series, 4 legs. I am 5 ft 10 and it is plenty tall for me and I use it with Wimberley II head. There is another five series with five legs and I would check that out as it is the tallest five series they make. Theeir four series should work for a 500mm f4, but it might be too short for your needs. The bag that came with my five series is long enough to accommodate the tripod with the Wimberly II attached. I believe the current model number for mine is the GIT 504L Grand Series. Go here to see all of their modular tripods:
https://www.indurogear.com/products/tri ... ry-modular

I have friends who use what Nancy recommended and they like them.

Joe
Joe Smith

by Anthony Medici on Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:12 am
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
John Blumenkamp wrote:Joe - thanks for the links.  Much appreciated!

Tony - I'm 6'-3" and have been using a Gitzo 3530L, which isn't quite tall enough for me (I use it with a RRS BH-55 ballhead and Wimberley Sidekick).  I've looked at tripods like the Gitzo 2543L (part of their Mountaineer series) and like it for both weight/height and compact size for traveling.  Some have told me they have used it with a 500 f/4, but I'm skeptical and wonder which head would work best on a tripod of that size.
For your height, you really don't get to use the "lightest" tripods. You need to use one that is tall enough for you.

I'd either go with the RRS TVC-34L

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/TVC-34L ... k2-Tripods

or the RRS TVC-24L

http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/TVC-24L ... k2-Tripods

The issue, as EJ mentioned, is rigidity. The TVC-24L has a maximum height of 66". That means the smallest leg pieces need to be fully deployed. As long as you don't expect a steady long exposure with the 500 in wind, the load capacity, at 40 lbs, is plenty for your equipment. I've used the none L version fully deployed with the 500 for BIF work and I really didn't have any issues.

Obviously, if you still think 66" is not enough, then the TVC-34L reaches 68" and has thicker legs all around with a 25" higher load capacity.

Getting either with the Fixed Apex (not Versa Apex as originally stated) makes for a slightly lighter and easier packing tripod at the cost of being able to use a leveling base. I personally use the Unique Ball UBH-35 for all my serious tripod use and it is currently the only head I have available for my 500. It's the lightest head that works well without a leveling base.

Joe mentioned the Induro Tripods. Once you get to tripods that are tall enough for you, the tripods are much cheaper but significantly heavier than the RRS tripods.
Tony

by photoman4343 on Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:02 am
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
Very good comments Tony. I saw one of those UBH-35's about a month ago and the photographer was using it with a 500mm f4. He said he loved it. I bought the Induro at a steep discount during a model changeover. Lower price was more important than other factors like lower weight. Given my age, 75, lower weight is probably more important than price.
Joe Smith

13 posts |