Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by Craig Lipski on Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:33 am
Craig Lipski
Forum Contributor
Location: The bustling metropolis of Fowlerville, Michigan, and the Texas Lower Rio Grande Valley
Member #:00495
I'm somewhat new to the 5DIV, and I'm having focus issues - problems I don't have with my 1DIV.
I'm not using the custom/programmable/whatever feature; frankly, the instructions just confuse the hell out of me.  I'm thinking I'm going to have to figure that out eventually, but here's my issue now:
I focus near the (usually 100-400 II) mfd on a butterfly or dragonfly or something small.
A breeze blows the subject.
The focus then locks on the bg, and will not reacquire the intended subject unless I manually focus on it first.  (I’m trying to reacquire using bbf.)
I'm currently set for Case 1, tracking sensitivity at 0, accel/decel tracking at 0, and AF auto switching at 0.  
Honestly, I find all of this confusing as hell.
Ideally I'd like it to work for  BIF as well as the pseudo / quasi macro-ish stuff I shoot.
Suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

by Charlie Woodrich on Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:01 am
Charlie Woodrich
Forum Contributor
You might decrease your tracking sensitivity to -1 or -2.  Another thing to look at is your AF points.  For BIF I use center point expansion or single AF. Arash published a book on this a few years ago which I found to be very helpful.  http://www.arihazeghiphotography.com/Guides/

by KeBul on Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:09 am
KeBul
Forum Contributor
Craig Lipski wrote:The focus then locks on the bg, and will not reacquire the intended subject unless I manually focus on it first.  (I’m trying to reacquire using bbf.)
Make sure you have Lens drive when AF impossible set to "ON"

I've seen exactly the same symptoms described caused by that setting being off.

It's at the top of the AF menu 4 

Regards

Kev.

by Craig Lipski on Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:22 am
Craig Lipski
Forum Contributor
Location: The bustling metropolis of Fowlerville, Michigan, and the Texas Lower Rio Grande Valley
Member #:00495
KeBul wrote:
Craig Lipski wrote:The focus then locks on the bg, and will not reacquire the intended subject unless I manually focus on it first.  (I’m trying to reacquire using bbf.)
Make sure you have Lens drive when AF impossible set to "ON"

I've seen exactly the same symptoms described caused by that setting being off.

It's at the top of the AF menu 4 

Regards

Kev.
Been there, done that. . . .

4 posts |