« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Topic Locked  
 First unread post  | 60 posts | 
by E.J. Peiker on Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:47 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Gary Irwin wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote: By coming up with a new optical formula that moves glass closer to the camera they were able to use smaller glass elements which reduces weight and at the same time moves the center of gravity closer to the camera which makes the weight loss seem even more dramatic when in hand.  This lens is designed several years later than the current Canon or Nikon lenses so newer technologies are employed.  Every generation of super teles have lost weight while improving optical performance.  I would not expect a lower optical quality.  If anything, Sony GM lenses, pretty much across the board, are optically similar or in many cases better than the Nikon or Canon equivalent.  The only one that is outperformed by the rivals is that the Canon 24-70 f/2.8L II is a tiny bit better than the Sony 24-70 f/2.8 GM.
Well computer based optical design has been around for decades and there's been no breakthrough as far as new optical materials go -- ED glass (FPL51 & FPL53) and fluorite have been around for decades and their physical and optical attributes are well-known. So I don't buy it that Nikon and Canon couldn't have designed and built a similar super-light lens. Metallurgy continues to improve of course so maybe Sony was willing to focus on that. Anyway, I still think there's more to this story, but only time will tell.
If you read some stuff on lens manufacturing technologies, there has been quite a leap in just the last few years in being able to precision grind optical elements in ways that were not possible before and creating precision elements that simply were not possible to manufacture cost effectively until very recently.  Lenses like these super teles have about a 3 year time from initiating the project to the lens being sold...

by Gary Irwin on Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:22 am
Gary Irwin
Forum Contributor
Thanks E.J...all good points and I appreciate your thoughts...
Gary Likes Nature.

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Aug 16, 2018 12:48 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
The lens tease now posted by Nikon. Again, not much info.

The Lens Tease

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Mike in O on Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:26 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:The lens tease now posted by Nikon. Again, not much info.

The Lens Tease

Joe
I am glad it will have a lens.   :lol:

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:19 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Mike in O wrote:
SantaFeJoe wrote:The lens tease now posted by Nikon. Again, not much info.

The Lens Tease

Joe
I am glad it will have a lens.   :lol:
Na, you don’t need one for pinhole photography!   :D

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:42 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Somebody took the one blacked out shot at the end of the video of the new lens and digitally enhanced it and it shows that it's a Z 24-70 f/4 lens with 72mm filter thread...

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:34 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Photographers first impressions video:

First Impressions

Again, not much there.

Joe

by Gary Irwin on Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:10 am
Gary Irwin
Forum Contributor
Well, at least we know the f-mount adapter is real, but that's about it.
Gary Likes Nature.

by MND on Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:22 am
MND
Forum Contributor
If the AF and image quality is as good as my D850 I’m in. That way I can sell my Sony gear rather than have 2 of everything. I’ll hold off selling the 100-400GM in case somebody makes a good Sony Adapter. That lens is very, very nice. I’ll probably keep the 90mm Macro as well, that’s a really nice lens too. Of course I can’t let the 18mm Batis go either.  :lol:

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:29 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
MND wrote:If the AF and image quality is as good as my D850 I’m in. That way I can sell my Sony gear rather than have 2 of everything. I’ll hold off selling the 100-400GM in case somebody makes a good Sony Adapter. That lens is very, very nice. I’ll probably keep the 90mm Macro as well, that’s a really nice lens too. Of course I can’t let the 18mm Batis go either.  :lol:
A Sony FE to Nikon Z adapter would only work if the flange distance on the Nikon is less than the Sony.  Just looking at the bodies, or the photos that are out there of it, it doesn't look like the Nikon flange distance is less.

by MND on Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:37 pm
MND
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
MND wrote:If the AF and image quality is as good as my D850 I’m in. That way I can sell my Sony gear rather than have 2 of everything. I’ll hold off selling the 100-400GM in case somebody makes a good Sony Adapter. That lens is very, very nice. I’ll probably keep the 90mm Macro as well, that’s a really nice lens too. Of course I can’t let the 18mm Batis go either.  :lol:
A Sony FE to Nikon Z adapter would only work if the flange distance on the Nikon is less than the Sony.  Just looking at the bodies, or the photos that are out there of it, it doesn't look like the Nikon flange distance is less.
That’s a shame. They have some really nice lenses now. 

by MND on Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:04 pm
MND
Forum Contributor
The actual pictures of the camera and lenses. 

Nikon Mirrorless Images

by SantaFeJoe on Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:32 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
For those interested in the reveal, it happens tomorrow night (Wednesday) at midnite ET, 9PM Pacific time:

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-produ ... oming.page

Joe

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:27 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
MND wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:
That’s a shame. They have some really nice lenses now. 
When the specs come out, if the flange distance is less than 18mm then it might be possible to adapt Sony FE/E lenses, if it is 18mm or more then it won't be and can't be adapted.  I did read somebody that somebody was told by somebody who knows somebody's cousin who said that the Nikon mount was 16mm for flange distance... If that's the case then it would come down to whether there is enough extra room inside the Nikon lens mount to allow for the mount's thickness itself since 2mm of extension alone is too thin the really be a manufacturable and handleable product since an adapter that is only 2mm thick would not be a usable product.

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:15 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
45 minutes to go.

Joe

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:04 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Live stream now at Nikonusa.com

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:12 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
F 0.95 aperture lens. 16mm flange. 45.7mp. In camera, 5 axis VR.

Joe

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:33 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
35mm f1.8, 50 f1.8 and 24-70 f4 lenses. Also, 58 f0.95 noct.

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:38 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
New 500mm f5.6 lens at half weight. F mount?

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:20 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Gonna lock this thread now and direct all Nikon Mirrorless traffic to the post announcement thread.

60 posts |