All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Topic Locked  
 First unread post  | 60 posts | 
by E.J. Peiker on Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:42 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
There are now some leaked pictures from an advertising shoot of the new camera and it is looking like, ergonomically, this is going to be a pretty good camera.

For those wondering why we are allowing this thread and not other "rumor" threads, it's because Nikon themselves have announced this camera and provided new teasers on a regular basis.  This is different then when third parties leak rumors and the manufacturers themselves have not acknowledged them.

by Mike in O on Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:14 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:There are now some leaked pictures from an advertising shoot of the new camera and it is looking like, ergonomically, this is going to be a pretty good camera.

For those wondering why we are allowing this thread and not other "rumor" threads, it's because Nikon themselves have announced this camera and provided new teasers on a regular basis.  This is different then when third parties leak rumors and the manufacturers themselves have not acknowledged them.
Should we start speculating about the new Canon also?

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:34 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
No because there is no official Canon announcement only rumors. Nikon has released an entire campaign around this camera.

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:34 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
No because there is no official Canon announcement only rumors. Nikon has released an entire campaign around this camera.

by SantaFeJoe on Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:29 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
New mount revealed at :25 mark of this new video tease:

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/index.page

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Scott Fairbairn on Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:56 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
I'm quite content with the systems I have, but if Nikon knocks it out of the park with this camera, comes out with that 500f5.6 and a quality 1.4x combination. I'll be sorely tempted.

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:37 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Nikon added a new video tease about the body, but it doesn’t really reveal anything, IMO. Use links above to access.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:14 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
SantaFeJoe wrote:Nikon added a new video tease about the body, but it doesn’t really reveal anything, IMO. Use links above to access.

Joe
The major reveal in the video ... it has a Nikon logo on the viewfinder bump :D  :P   :mrgreen:

by Gary Irwin on Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:07 pm
Gary Irwin
Forum Contributor
Personnally I hope Nikon “knock’s it out of the park” as far as mirrorless goes. Based on what we’ve seen from Sony it looks like mirrorless is the future of photography. But what worries me most is my current investment in F-mount lenses. It seems to me that to enjoy the promise of cutting-edge performance ML/Z-mount will require a lot more than a simple F-mount adapter...which, if correct, means the eventual death of F-mount technology. Right now I’d like to pick up a 180-400E, but there’s no way I’d consider dropping $15k (CAD) on a lens without knowing such an investement is, to an extent, “future proofed”. At this point all of my photography purchasing plans are on hold.
Gary Likes Nature.

by Mike in O on Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:50 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Gary Irwin wrote:Personnally I hope Nikon “knock’s it out of the park” as far as mirrorless goes. Based on what we’ve seen from Sony it looks like mirrorless is the future of photography. But what worries me most is my current investment in F-mount lenses. It seems to me that to enjoy the promise of cutting-edge performance ML/Z-mount will require a lot more than a simple F-mount adapter...which, if correct, means the eventual death of F-mount technology. Right now I’d like to pick up a 180-400E, but there’s no way I’d consider dropping $15k (CAD) on a lens without knowing such an investement is, to an extent, “future proofed”. At this point all of my photography purchasing plans are on hold.
+1

by DChan on Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:34 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
If this Nikon mirrorless could perform just as well as its current dslr in all aspects, how many of you would just drop your dslr system you have and switch over?

Not me.

Oh, is Nikon gonna stop making dslr soon?

by Gary Irwin on Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:39 am
Gary Irwin
Forum Contributor
DChan wrote:If this Nikon mirrorless could perform just as well as its current dslr in all aspects, how many of you would just drop your dslr system you have and switch over?

Not me.

Oh, is Nikon gonna stop making dslr soon?
It would take a lot...i.e. a high-performance 20FPS 54MP body would do it. I’m certainly not expecting to see such a beast in a year or even two, but there’s no doubt in my mind that such a camera is coming ... from someone. 

A little off-topic, I’m also very curious to better understand Sony’s design philosophy for their new 400/2.8. In comparison to both Canon and Nikon, the design is almost revolutionary...there’s no reason Nikon or Canon could not have built such a light-weight lens. So either Sony has decided to build a more expensive lens (i.e. with three fluorite elements) and sell it at a “loss” in their effort to break into the pro sports market, or they’ve decided to deliberately sacrifice a small amount of IQ to deliver a very light-weight but “good enough” lens, or perhaps ML technology allows for such a radical design? Anyway, camera technology is suddently about to get very, very interesting...not a bad time to watch how things unfold from the sidelines.  :D
Gary Likes Nature.

by SantaFeJoe on Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:52 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Gary Irwin wrote: A little off-topic, I’m also very curious to better understand Sony’s design philosophy for their new 400/2.8. In comparison to both Canon and Nikon, the design is almost revolutionary...there’s no reason Nikon or Canon could not have built such a light-weight lens. So either Sony has decided to build a more expensive lens (i.e. with three fluorite elements) and sell it at a “loss” in their effort to break into the pro sports market, or they’ve decided to deliberately sacrifice a small amount of IQ to deliver a very light-weight but “good enough” lens, or perhaps ML technology allows for such a radical design? Anyway, camera technology is suddently about to get very, very interesting...not a bad time to watch how things unfold from the sidelines.  :D
Design discussed here:

https://www.naturescapes.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=278458&sid=18e7258e6fd785b9c86122389a845843

Smaller elements definitely=less cost/less weight.

Joe

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:18 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Gary Irwin wrote:
A little off-topic, I’m also very curious to better understand Sony’s design philosophy for their new 400/2.8. In comparison to both Canon and Nikon, the design is almost revolutionary...there’s no reason Nikon or Canon could not have built such a light-weight lens. So either Sony has decided to build a more expensive lens (i.e. with three fluorite elements) and sell it at a “loss” in their effort to break into the pro sports market, or they’ve decided to deliberately sacrifice a small amount of IQ to deliver a very light-weight but “good enough” lens, or perhaps ML technology allows for such a radical design? Anyway, camera technology is suddently about to get very, very interesting...not a bad time to watch how things unfold from the sidelines.  :D
By coming up with a new optical formula that moves glass closer to the camera they were able to use smaller glass elements which reduces weight and at the same time moves the center of gravity closer to the camera which makes the weight loss seem even more dramatic when in hand.  This lens is designed several years later than the current Canon or Nikon lenses so newer technologies are employed.  Every generation of super teles have lost weight while improving optical performance.  I would not expect a lower optical quality.  If anything, Sony GM lenses, pretty much across the board, are optically similar or in many cases better than the Nikon or Canon equivalent.  The only one that is outperformed by the rivals is that the Canon 24-70 f/2.8L II is a tiny bit better than the Sony 24-70 f/2.8 GM.

by SantaFeJoe on Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:22 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Here’s a bit about Sony’s philosophy:

https://www.dpreview.com/interviews/441 ... ens-design

Joe

by KK Hui on Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:58 am
KK Hui
Member #:00536
Looks like Nikon is confident enough to have their next mirrorless as their DSLR successor hence the naming of Z6 & Z7.
D5 will in fact be the last camera in their DSLR series?!
KK Hui  FRPS
Fellow of The Royal Photographic Society
Personal Website | Portfolio @ Flickr

Lifetime Member NSN 0536

by Gary Irwin on Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:14 am
Gary Irwin
Forum Contributor
No way...the “high speed” Z6 is rumoured to be in the $2k USD range which can’t be a replacement for the D5....more likely a direct competitor to the Sony A7III. The rumoured $4k Z7 may be a competitor to the D850 though. It seems reasonable that mirrorless will eventually replace DSLR’s though, and it would be very interesting to glimpse Nikons development roadmap in that regard. As I indicated earlier, I think the biggest unknown will be how well F-mount lenses perform with the Z-mount adapter. If there’s no signficant loss of performance all will be well and good. But if the new ML technology doesn’t handle f-mount technology well, that could be very disruptive for Nikon.
Gary Likes Nature.

by KK Hui on Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:31 am
KK Hui
Member #:00536
The EVF probably hasn't advanced enough to replace delay-free, real-time OVF.
Yes, I am sure there will be a D6 (largely because of the OVF). Nikon is not going to risk alienating their Pro customers unless they know that 90% or more has moved over to mirrorless!
But I find the naming convention for their mirrorless starting with Z6 rather odd ...
KK Hui  FRPS
Fellow of The Royal Photographic Society
Personal Website | Portfolio @ Flickr

Lifetime Member NSN 0536

by SantaFeJoe on Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:55 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
The new Sony design for EVF’s is much improved and Nikon could be right up there with them or even use it.

New Sony EVF

More on Sony EVF

Joe

by Gary Irwin on Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:15 am
Gary Irwin
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote: By coming up with a new optical formula that moves glass closer to the camera they were able to use smaller glass elements which reduces weight and at the same time moves the center of gravity closer to the camera which makes the weight loss seem even more dramatic when in hand.  This lens is designed several years later than the current Canon or Nikon lenses so newer technologies are employed.  Every generation of super teles have lost weight while improving optical performance.  I would not expect a lower optical quality.  If anything, Sony GM lenses, pretty much across the board, are optically similar or in many cases better than the Nikon or Canon equivalent.  The only one that is outperformed by the rivals is that the Canon 24-70 f/2.8L II is a tiny bit better than the Sony 24-70 f/2.8 GM.
Well computer based optical design has been around for decades and there's been no breakthrough as far as new optical materials go -- ED glass (FPL51 & FPL53) and fluorite have been around for decades and their physical and optical attributes are well-known. So I don't buy it that Nikon and Canon couldn't have designed and built a similar super-light lens. Metallurgy continues to improve of course so maybe Sony was willing to focus on that. Anyway, I still think there's more to this story, but only time will tell.
Gary Likes Nature.

60 posts |