Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Topic Locked  
 First unread post  | 60 posts | 
by SantaFeJoe on Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:55 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
DPReview posted a link to this Nikon microsite that appears to indicate a possible mirrorless in the future:

https://events.imaging.nikon.com/live/en/

https://www.dpreview.com/news/3091250983/nikon-teases-mirrorless-with-video-and-microsite

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:13 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
It does tease an a7 style body shape at the end....

by DChan on Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:42 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
Look here:

https://www.instagram.com/nikon_mirrorless/?utm_source=ig_embed

by Mike in O on Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:09 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:It does tease an a7 style body shape at the end....
form follows function

by david fletcher on Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:49 am
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Looks like it's now official.

Press Release
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:22 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
david fletcher wrote:Looks like it's now official.

Press Release
It will be interesting to see how well the adapter works with pre E lenses that have a mechanical aperture stop down.  So far none of the third party solutions to adapt Nikon lenses to Sony while maintaining AF and full aperture control work worth a darn.

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:42 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Nikon just sent me this similar announcement for the U.S.:

Nikon Mirrorless

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Mike in O on Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:25 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
david fletcher wrote:Looks like it's now official.

Press Release
It will be interesting to see how well the adapter works with pre E lenses that have a mechanical aperture stop down.  So far none of the third party solutions to adapt Nikon lenses to Sony while maintaining AF and full aperture control work worth a darn.
That is why Sony developed 2 adapters, 1 for older lenses that would benefit from the slt phase detection and screw drive and 1 for electronic drive lenses with sam or ssm.  A mount has mechanical aperture like most of Nikon lenses.  Canon will not have these problems since they have been all electronic for awhile.

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:09 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
I’m amazed that Nikon has been so stuck with making new technology compatible with ancient. It seems to me that this holds them back and complicates development. Move forward and eliminate the baggage is what I say. New starts are not a bad thing.

Joe

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:38 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
SantaFeJoe wrote:I’m amazed that Nikon has been so stuck with making new technology compatible with ancient. It seems to me that this holds them back and complicates development. Move forward and eliminate the baggage is what I say. New starts are not a bad thing.

Joe
While personally I agree with taht sentiment, over the years, surveying has shown over and over again that Nikon users value backward compatibility of the system above all else.  It has left them in a bind though as you say and now we have various bodies that are compatible and incompatible with various lenses, some of which are in the current catalogue.

by Phil Shaw on Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:35 pm
Phil Shaw
Forum Contributor
Member #:00106
E.J. Peiker wrote:
SantaFeJoe wrote:I’m amazed that Nikon has been so stuck with making new technology compatible with ancient. It seems to me that this holds them back and complicates development. Move forward and eliminate the baggage is what I say. New starts are not a bad thing.

Joe
While personally I agree with taht sentiment, over the years, surveying has shown over and over again that Nikon users value backward compatibility of the system above all else.  It has left them in a bind though as you say and now we have various bodies that are compatible and incompatible with various lenses, some of which are in the current catalogue.
The problem with Nikon surveys (also applies to Canon) is that these surveys are by and large conducted in Japan.  Japanese photographers seem to me to have a different set of qualities that they value above others.  Part of this seems (at least to me) to be tradition and craftmanship (why would Leica be so big in Japan otherwise?) While I respect these qualities, it is not really what I want dictating the functions and functioning of my photographic equipment.  Sony seem to have a different mindset, and in recent years, Nikon seem to be breaking out of the mold.
Phil Shaw
Essex, UK
[color=#008000][url]http://www.naturephotopro.com[/url][/color]

by Gary Irwin on Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:10 pm
Gary Irwin
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:It will be interesting to see how well the adapter works with pre E lenses that have a mechanical aperture stop down.  So far none of the third party solutions to adapt Nikon lenses to Sony while maintaining AF and full aperture control work worth a darn.
Well I wouldn’t expect pre-E series lenses to perform as well as native ‘Z’ mount lenses should with the new mirrorless bodies from Nikon, but I don’t see any reason why E lenses shouldn’t perform as well.

What concerns me though is this statement...

Nikon will continue to lead imaging culture with the launch of this new mirrorless camera, as well as with the continued development of Nikon digital SLR cameras, providing consumers with the choice of enjoying the unique values of either system.

Which suggests Nikon will refrain from putting the best of DSLR technology into their ML offerings...unlike Sony that clearly has one goal: to replace DSLR’s with mirrorless. Will that hold Nikon back?
Gary Likes Nature.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:34 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Gary Irwin wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:It will be interesting to see how well the adapter works with pre E lenses that have a mechanical aperture stop down.  So far none of the third party solutions to adapt Nikon lenses to Sony while maintaining AF and full aperture control work worth a darn.
Well I wouldn’t expect pre-E series lenses to perform as well as native ‘Z’ mount lenses should with the new mirrorless bodies from Nikon, but I don’t see any reason why E lenses shouldn’t perform as well.

What concerns me though is this statement...

Nikon will continue to lead imaging culture with the launch of this new mirrorless camera, as well as with the continued development of Nikon digital SLR cameras, providing consumers with the choice of enjoying the unique values of either system.

Which suggests Nikon will refrain from putting the best of DSLR technology into their ML offerings...unlike Sony that clearly has one goal: to replace DSLR’s with mirrorless. Will that hold Nikon back?
I fixed your post as it had a bunch of HTML tags - NSN doesn't handle cutting and pasting HTML formatted text well.

Yes, E lenses should be easy to support and I'm surprised that there isn't a good third party adapter yet for Nikkor E to Sony.  

There's still the issue though of AF-S motors in the vast majority of Nikkor lenses and that just doesn't perform that well on an on-sensor AF system where linear motors are the way to go so even E-lenses will struggle with fast AF tracking compared to native lenses.  So at best, adapted Nikon lenses on the new Nikon mirrorless will have decent performance but not the type of performance they have on a Nikon DSLR.  The new lenses specific to the system should be very good IFF Nikon doesn't just make budget consumer zooms like they have a proclivity to do on anything that isn't DSLR and as you say, they don't hold back tech to sell more D5 dinosaurs.

by Scott Fairbairn on Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:12 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
A Nikon mirrorless with Sony A9 capabilities coupled with that upcoming 500mmf5.6 would be a sweet combo.

by Gary Irwin on Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:39 am
Gary Irwin
Forum Contributor
Interesting...thanks E.J.
Gary Likes Nature.

by david fletcher on Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:46 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
Scott Fairbairn wrote:A Nikon mirrorless with Sony A9 capabilities coupled with that upcoming 500mmf5.6 would be a sweet combo.

Plus the D850 sensor...  :) .  that'll be rocking
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:16 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
The latest email from Nikon. The official announcement is scheduled:

Announcement Date/Time

Announcement page

They also added it to the first link I posted in the original post of this thread.

Joe

by MND on Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:02 am
MND
Forum Contributor
Being able to use my existing Nikon/Zeiss/Sigma lenses and my Sony 100-400 GM and 90mm Macro and Batis lenses will be marvelous. if only.

by MND on Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:50 pm
MND
Forum Contributor
Whats the possibility that the new camera will be Medium Format? 

Is it possible the Z mount could be for medium format and the older series lenses for 36 x 24?

With the Z Mount they have designed a totally new system, if they should go to medium format in the future would they want to produce yet another mount and more new lenses?

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:43 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
MND wrote:Whats the possibility that the new camera will be Medium Format? 

Is it possible the Z mount could be for medium format and the older series lenses for 36 x 24?

With the Z Mount they have designed a totally new system, if they should go to medium format in the future would they want to produce yet another mount and more new lenses?
Even though, by appearance the mount looks like it could handle cropped medium format (44x33) there is zero chance that this camera will be that IMHO.

60 posts |