« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 121 posts | 
by owlseye on Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:50 pm
owlseye
Forum Contributor
Cynthia Crawford wrote:
owlseye wrote:Hello,
I have had a 500PF for about two weeks now and have done a fair amount of shooting with it. My other lenses include a 200-500, 200-400VR1, and 300PF. I have been in some fairly tough shooting locations that includes soft and low light, flat gray light, and contrasty forests. The lens is very snappy with autofocus that seems faster and quieter than my other optics. The lens appears to be sharper than the other lenses I own. In fact, I have recently sold my 200-400 and my 300PF and replaced these with the 70-200E and additional body (D500).

I wrote a brief, non scientific blog post comparing the 500PF to the 200-500VR and 200-400VR. In the test, I used a stuffed screech owl from my biology classroom and compared the thee lenses at 20 meters and 40 meters. The post has numerous confounding variables that I hope to eliminate in a follow up comparison... but if you would like to see both field samples and how the lens performed on an ancient screech owl, you can check it out here: http://btleventhal.com/bruceleventhal/2 ... 0-400mm-f4
Thanks so much for those comparisons. Very helpful.  I wonder how well the 500 5.6  is stabilized for hand holding- I rarely use a tripod.
You are welcome. I knew that people would be interested in how the lens compares with the 200-500VR. I wish I had access to a 500mm f/4G or f/4FLE, as I am curious if the 500PF compares well to these more expensive and faster telephotos. I was out shooting last weekend, and was really impressed with the long distance performance of the 500PF. I was shooting in very poor/overcast light (required ISO1600 to achieve a 1/25 shutter speed) and was pleasantly surprised by the detail I could capture at 150 meters or more. This performance and AF accuracy surpasses what I was achieving with my 200-400VR.
Regarding VR, I am a tripod user unless the conditions make tripod use impossible.
cheers,
bruce

121 posts |