« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by James W. Milligan on Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:14 pm
James W. Milligan
Lifetime Member
Member #:00249
I have recently purchased a 100-400 and just added the 1.4 teleconverter on the a7Rlll. I have tried some manual focus with the combo and the results are not great. Peaking color suggests all in focus but the image is not in focus. Other trials with auto and some higher light levels shows the combo is working well. Therefore, I assume it is my technique that needs some work. Any suggestions from those of you that my have more experience with this type of set-up would be appreciated.

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:22 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
First it should autofocus in decent light.  Second, it's likely technique.  It will need an extremely steady mount and perfect technique.  For the actual photo, stopping down to f/11 will put the combo in a better place optically.  Use ISO 640, that's where the dual gain kicks in and it will be cleaner (and faster) than ISO 400 or 560 and also better than 800.  IF you are shooting with shutter speeds slower than about a half second, turn OSS off to prevent gyro drift from affecting sharpness and use a delay between shutter activation and the actual shot of 5 seconds.  Even without the TC, the 2 second option isn't enough to fully settle the combo.

by James W. Milligan on Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:34 pm
James W. Milligan
Lifetime Member
Member #:00249
E.J. Peiker wrote:First it should autofocus in decent light.  Second, it's likely technique.  It will need an extremely steady mount and perfect technique.  For the actual photo, stopping down to f/11 will put the combo in a better place optically.  Use ISO 640, that's where the dual gain kicks in and it will be cleaner (and faster) than ISO 400 or 560 and also better than 800.  IF you are shooting with shutter speeds slower than about a half second, turn OSS off to prevent gyro drift from affecting sharpness and use a delay between shutter activation and the actual shot of 5 seconds.  Even without the TC, the 2 second option isn't enough to fully settle the combo.
ok,I am good with the tripod. However,I will need to shoot hand held from a zodiac when I go to Iceland. I have been using 1/1250 sec @ f11 and auto iso. Am I asking too much for the combo in dim light say heavy cloud cover with iso over 6000?

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:52 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
No that should work OK but at f/11 getting good AF tracking in light that requires ISO 6000 is a big ask for even a D5.

4 posts |