All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 27 posts | 
by Brian Stirling on Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:29 am
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Member #:00446
I had a bit of a problem today as they only provided a single tracking number for the more than dozen items I'm sending them and that includes two 1D(s) pro bodies as well as several largish lenses (24-70mm f/2,8, 70-200mm f/2.8, and 300mm f/4) in addition to numerous other items. So, I called there contact number but got a message that the number was no longer in service. I emailed them and got a reply back about 90 minutes later with a second tracking number. So, everything is on its way by ground so this time next week it should be in NYC and hopefully I'll know a few days later.

Brian

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:43 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
When you agree to ship them stuff, they ask you how many boxes you will ship the gear in. You must have missed that box and just left it on the default of 1.

by Royce Howland on Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:40 pm
Royce Howland
Forum Contributor
Member #:00460
Another footnote on this thread. I sold a truckload of stuff to KEH a few months ago. I eliminated my primarily Canon 35mm digital gear -- bodies, lenses, accessories, everything. The "good stuff" I had already sold privately over a period of a few years, and what I was left with was mostly odd, specialized or old. Despite a few attempts at selling the remaining stuff privately, I had no legit takers and more than a few time wasters who'd string me along -- plenty of email or phone back & forth, but also sometimes even showing up in person to check stuff out, only to ultimately disappear without a trace. So I feared the worst in terms of ever being able to unload that gear for anything worth my while.

KEH came through Calgary last year on a used gear buying trip, co-sponsored by The Camera Store, my main brick & mortar dealer. I took in several boxes of gear. The KEH buyer reviewed it all on the spot and took nearly everything. I had the option to get a cheque right then & there, or opt for a somewhat higher value in TCS store credit. I went for the cash since I spend enough at TCS already as it is. :) I was quite pleasantly surprised at the amount quoted for everything; it came out slightly higher than I thought was realistically achievable for a broker purchase. And since this was a local buying event, there was no hassle of boxing & shipping everything around.

So perhaps KEH is not quite as sterling as they used to be, but as both a buyer and a seller over a number of years, I have no complaints. I've never dealt with MPB before, though I will check them out next time I need such a service, based on the comments in this thread. But I certainly have no hesitation to keep dealing with KEH as well.
Royce Howland

by Brian Stirling on Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:10 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
E.J. Peiker wrote:When you agree to ship them stuff, they ask you how many boxes you will ship the gear in.  You must have missed that box and just left it on the default of 1.

Nope, didn't miss it at all, I selected two as that's what I figured I'd need. The other oddity in there process was that they stated the first shipping opportunity was Friday the 15th and that's the date I selected, but the tracking number they sent me was for a Thursday (14th) date.  So, something about there process is a little borked.   Somehow that didn't get logged or appreciated properly.  But, they were quick to fix the problem even if there contact number was disconnected.

It looks like the packages should arrive either Wednesday or Thursday so we'll see how long after that they reply with a confirmed offer after reviewing the items.  I'd guess a couple days so maybe the end of the week or early next.

Brian

by Brian Stirling on Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:17 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
One other bit of kit I'm planning to sell is some fixed M43 lenses from Olympus.  I have three lenses (12mm f/2.0, 25mm f/1.8 and 45mm f/1.8  ) all with hoods but since they are not Canon or Nikon I'm unsure of there willingness to make a reasonable offer for them.  When purchased the total cost was about $1600 USD for all three purchased separately over time and are less than 3-years old, seldom used, and in great condition.  I also have some 46mm ND and UV filters for them and a step-up-ring for the 45mm lens so the 46mm filters can be used on it.  I use the M43 cameras mostly for video.

Brian

by Brian Stirling on Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:35 am
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
One last update ...

Got an email from MPB today with a small amendment to the offer $50 less for a missing charger. I'm not sure where the second charger went and my guess is it will turn up at some point as these things almost always do. So, I accepted the revised offer and I await the final arrangements to receive the cash -- should be tomorrow.

The shipment was received by them last Friday and I was expecting this reply on Monday, but, with more than a dozen items including 2 pro bodies, 5 lenses, a flash and some other items I guess I should have expected it might take a bit longer for them to inspect and test everything.

The one surprising thing was that one of the lenses, the 50mm f/1.4G would no longer AF so I never included that in my submission. I'm not sure why the 50mm f/1.4G would no longer AF and it does manually focus but at it's present value it hardly warrants even attempting to fix if the fix would cost more than, well, anything.

All-in-all the process was not half bad and the offer was at least as high as I expected. It is good to take care of your stuff so when you do plan to sell you get top dollar. When you watch the way many of the pro photogs that cover sports etc handle there gear it's apparent they view the stuff as having a short lifespan and count on there agency to cover replacement -- must be nice.

Brian

by Brian Stirling on Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:50 pm
Brian Stirling
Lifetime Member
Final Update:

OK, the deal is complete and I received payment today so the total process from item listing and submission to receipt of payment was about 3.5-4 weeks with about a week for shipment and another week to review the received items and make the amended offer. In summary I received about $50 less than the original offer owing to the missing charger which is perfectly understandable, and the net was about what I expected and more than I feared.

The downside is being on there mailing list and getting emails just about everyday -- but, that's how everyone rolls these days.

Brian

27 posts |