« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by Neilyb on Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:00 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
I finally decided to break back in to the Sony world and bought a used A7RII and MB4, which I updated to the most recent firmware. According to the website I should now be able to use the IS without the IBIS ebing enabled at the same time. Unfortunately my lenses (400 2.8 mkII or 100-400 mkII) do not use IS at all. The MB is in advnaced mode, if that helps? I cannot get to the Steadyshot menu item as my lens has IS and the camera tells me to use the lens's IS but IBIS does seem to be enabled as the image in the viewfinder is not shaking.

Using the older Viltrox adapter IS works (but the AF is miserable ;) ) So I am guessing it is the Metabones setting but cannot find this info on their site documentation.

by rene on Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:56 am
rene
Forum Contributor
I believe it should work in green mode but I might be wrong. I used both Metabones and MC11 with A7R2 and it performance is bismal at best and marginally better with A7R3 and A9. Whatever anyone says: adapters will always be a sacrifice in mostly AF speed, hence why I now use solely Sony cameras and lenses bar for anything over 400mm
Rene

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:26 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
It should work as rene said but frankly using IBIS might be more effective.  Those long lenses with USM motors will never AF that well on a camera designed for linear motors.  Adapting super teles with USM motors is not something I recommend to my clients.  For landscapes, adapting is great, for wildlife, not so much.

Make sure the FW on your Metabones is fully up to date!

by Neilyb on Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:57 pm
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
I did the update E.J thanks.I am not worried about AF speed as this is going to be used as a mainly landscape body but a good testing was in order. Not having lens IS would not be terrible but certainly should work. I will try the Green mode, thanks both!

by Neilyb on Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:45 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
OK, basically I was in Green mode as the Metabones software for firmware updates defaults to Advanced Mode being off. Switching on Advanced gives me lens IS but the autofocus is abysmal. I will leave the adapter in green mode.

Question though about using my 16-35 IS f4 (Canon). I am guessing IBIS be turned on by default and if so will it cause any problems on a tripod?

by Neilyb on Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:24 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
I have also noticed that there is a constant humming noise, like an image stabilizer, coming from the body. I have turned steadshot off and tried a lens without IS and the older adapter and it is always there.

Otherwise the images out of this camera are stunning with my Canon glass.

6 posts |