« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 12 posts | 
by Richard B. on Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:02 pm
Richard B.
Lifetime Member
Member #:01199
https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/ ... 00-viA.HTM

Amazing that Sony seems to come out with a new version of this camera almost every year. Their customers base must be endless. Anyway, new zoom lens 24/200 mm equivalent, four stop vr, is or whatever they call it, plus an optional grip. 

And oh yeah, almost forgot, a price increase. But I will most likely get one when it's been reviewed (after I dump my MkIII which just lost a lot of value). 

Richard 

by bender16v on Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:30 am
bender16v
Forum Contributor
Member #:02125
I still have the original version and rarely used it since I could never get used to using the screen to compose. I've also never been comfortable with the controls and can never remember what I have set up to do what. This new version looks pretty good so I'll probably upgrade to this and make an honest attempt to carry and use it when out on my bike and as a casual travel camera.
-Chris Harrison

by Richard B. on Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:36 am
Richard B.
Lifetime Member
Chris, Of course the new versions have an electronic viewfinder (and you can see the live histogram in it if you have good eyes). I found the menus to not be intuitive until I set the function menu set to have all the adjustments i would commonly need. Now I can just press the function button and have twelve commonly used adjustment settings on the screen. It will be even easier if the new camera has touch sensitivity for the function menu. Just a thought.

by ricardo00 on Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:41 pm
ricardo00
Forum Contributor
Richard B.
 Anyway, new zoom lens 24/200 mm equivalent, four stop vr, is or whatever they call it, plus an optional grip. 

And oh yeah, almost forgot, a price increase. But I will most likely get one when it's been reviewed (after I dump my MkIII which just lost a lot of value). 

Richard

The increase in zoom comes at a cost, it is now 2.8-4.5 whereas the older versions (of which I have two different ones) were 1.8-2.8.  Since I primarily use them for low light at close range (usually family shots, often indoors), not sure this fits my needs.

by Richard B. on Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:56 pm
Richard B.
Lifetime Member
Hi,

Thanks for pointing that out. My intended use is almost exclusively outside so I think I can live with 2.8 lens. I want it for a pocketable lightweight that can be with me whenever I want. I understand if you are mostly indoor portraits where the faster lens would be good for low light and background isolation. I think some of the prior marks had a zoom that extended out to 100/110 or so? Also good for portraiture.

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:42 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Here’s a review, along with a large gallery of sample images of street photography and architecture:

Review

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:14 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
bender16v wrote:I still have the original version and rarely used it since I could never get used to using the screen to compose. I've also never been comfortable with the controls and can never remember what I have set up to do what. This new version looks pretty good so I'll probably upgrade to this and make an honest attempt to carry and use it when out on my bike and as a casual travel camera.
EVF was introduced several iterations ago ;)

by bender16v on Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:35 am
bender16v
Forum Contributor
Member #:02125
E.J. and Richard B, I saw that when it came out but I couldn't decide if I didn't use the camera because of this or simply because I didn't like using a P&S camera so I didn't upgrade. I'll look into setting up the Function menu to help with settings. I'm just so used to my Nikon bodies where I can change everything I want without removing the camera from my eye. I've been on the fence with getting a Fuji X-Series cameras but don't think I would use it much. The new RX-100 sounds more suited to a wider variety of uses.
-Chris Harrison

by Jens Peermann on Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:52 pm
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
How is the image quality of these cameras? I have seen enthusiastic reports about it, so I think this camera can replace my A7 with the FE 28-70 lens for the occasional newspaper assignment. The 24-200 range would be a perfect match for the effectively 150-600 range of my a6500/ FE 100-400 GM combo.
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

by int-nat on Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:54 pm
int-nat
Forum Contributor
Jens Peermann wrote:How is the image quality of these cameras? I have seen enthusiastic reports about it, so I think this camera can replace my A7 with the FE 28-70 lens for the occasional newspaper assignment. The 24-200 range would be a perfect match for the effectively 150-600 range of my a6500/ FE 100-400 GM combo.

For a little more you could get the RX10 VI which has a 24-600mm lens and replace the whole system, depending on your specific needs from that a6500/100-400.

by Jens Peermann on Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:40 pm
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
int-nat wrote: For a little more you could get the RX10 VI which has a 24-600mm lens and replace the whole system, depending on your specific needs from that a6500/100-400.
Thanks for your input; much appreciated.

However, the 100-400 GM produces much better images when combined with the a6500 when shooting wildlife or events handheld than what was possible with my old Canon 400/5.6 on the 7DII. And when attached to the a7II it gives me better image quality than what I got from the Canon 400/5.6 on the 5D3. So there's no way I will part with that lens.

The RX100 VI is attractive because the price is about the same as the 24-105 Sony lens, which I don't know how well it will work with the old a7. That camera is not exactly famous for outstanding AF and may not get the full potential out of that lens.
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:40 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Another review:

Review

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

12 posts |