Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by CBoylston on Tue May 29, 2018 7:59 am
CBoylston
Forum Contributor
I am in the market for a new camera for wildlife, and am having trouble deciding between a Canon 1dx mark 1 and 2.  Ive seen online that the mark 2 has better ISO performance, better auto focus, much better video recording and its blazingly fast.  Right now I shoot with a 60d, so no matter what I get its going to be a much better camera.

Im curious to know what you think about these two cameras.  Are the advantages of the mark 2 worth the $2k extra over the mark 1?  

I have also been toying with the idea of ditching Canon all together and go with a mirrorless camera (not sure which one).  Does anybody here use a mirrorless camera for wildlife?  Do you feel that mirrored cameras are going to be overtaken by mirrorless, at least specifically in the wildlife industry?  

by E.J. Peiker on Tue May 29, 2018 11:27 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
The 1Dx II is a definite improvement over the 1Dx in a number of areas.  Is it worth $2K?  That depends very much on the individual.  Having just done a big job for a client with 1Dx and 1Dx 2 cameras, while I certainly prefer the 1Dx 2, to me the difference is absolutely not worth the $2K premium.  But again, only you can compare the feature set and see if it is for you or not.

Most definitely mirrorless will eventually be the camera of choice for wildlife, if nothing else, because of completely silent shooting.  Today, there really is only one top end mirrorless camera designed for this type of shooting and that is the Sony a9.  The problem is that the lenses on the long end aren't there yet.  Right now the longest lens for that camera is a truly excellent 100-400 and there is a 400/2.8 coming.  500, 600, 800 and even 300/2.8 lenses have not even been announced or shown on a roadmap yet.  Sony does have patents for them though so at least that's an encouraging first step.

The other option in the mirrorless arena for this type of shooting is the micro 4/3 Olympus EM1 Mk II but again, the lenses on the long end aren't there and DOF control becomes a bit of a challenge due to the tiny sensor,

by Scott Fairbairn on Tue May 29, 2018 12:47 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
Sony Rumours has reported patents for 500 and 600 f4 lenses. Patent filing and production are two different things of course.
https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/new-son ... ns-design/

by Neilyb on Wed May 30, 2018 11:24 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
I own a 1Dx and have used, like E.J. both. For me the question boils down to, do I need the extra speed (and 12fps is more than I ever use)? Do I shoot shy animals? If yes then avoid the 1Dx as it has the same mirror up quiet shooting mode the previous 1D's had, not a continuous quiet mode which the mk2 has and would make all the difference for what I usually shoot. But the 2k premium was too much. I upgraded my 5DIII to a 5DIV and have hardly used the 1Dx since (and would have ditched it if Canon had anything like a D500 in its range). It is much quieter, I am happy to shoot up to ISO6400 and a tad more if need be. I only ever use it on 3fps quiet mode. Video features are adequate (except the lack of full frame 4K option). It is not a tank like the 1D bodies and requires more care ;)

SO no, I could not justify the 2k extra for what I shoot. Both are amazing cameras.

4 posts |