Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
by Neilyb on Sat May 26, 2018 5:27 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
I have a few ideas of shots I would like to achieve, wide angle wildlife. I have so far held off this idea due to the fact a shutter triggering close to a shy animal would cause an immediate reaction, usually a fleeing animal.

So I have been pondering the electronic shutter of the Sony cameras. I wonder if it is possible to use the silent mode via a wired or wireless (maybe even IR trigger) remote or does this feature need to be started manually? If the camera shuts down does the shutter once more drop into place? Can the viewfinder or screen operation be disabled to save the battery? If the camera sleeps how quickly will it wake up?

The obvious solution is to try one out but finances do not allow for this, including necessary remotes etc.. so if anyone has any experience I would love to know if the silent mode is a viable remote option?

Thanks for any help in advance :)

by E.J. Peiker on Sat May 26, 2018 4:44 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
No you don't need to start it manually. It is menu selectable and then all shots are silent. But you can not really use a fully electronic shutter on a moving subject. At least not until the day when we get sensors with a global shutter. This is due to the fact that the camera scans the sensor from top to bottom. Even though you may have a very fast shutter speed selected, each line is scanned in that time but top to bottom takes much longer. So let's say you have a 1/1000s shutter speed selected but the scan time on a body like the a7R III is 1/15s. That means the top line in the frame will be scanned 1/15s before the bottom line. Each line gets just 1/1000s of exposure but at different times by as much as 1/15s. So if the subject is moving, you will get some very strange distortion. This phenomenon is called "rolling shutter".

The Sony a9 is much faster in this regard and does a pretty decent job but it's really the only one. In the future there will be sensors with a global electronic shutter. This means that all lines are scanned simultaneously but today, only very small sensors have this capability.

Both the viewfinder and monitor can be set to manual which requires you to manually turn it on.

by Neilyb on Sun May 27, 2018 2:51 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
Thanks E.J. I get the rolling shutting problem and would limit the use to more stationary subjects, or at least very slow moving ones. The 1/15 sec top to bottom scan time is interesting though as I had not realized it was quite so slow. I was counting on using a cheaper older model such as the A7rII with adapted lenses.

3 posts |