Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by kiwijohn on Tue May 01, 2018 1:58 pm
kiwijohn
Forum Contributor
I asked a question on Scotts previous post about using the gel sticks on a Nikon D850 sensor, and nobody answered it, so here it goes again in a new topic....

I am intrigued with the possibility of cutting up a gel block into smaller pieces  (see below)

In my previous post...

I have an EYELEAD gel stick, but have not used it yet. Can you tell me anything about the following points...

1. I don't know how aggressive they are - do these gel sticks tend to pull hard on the sensor when applied?

2. Would it be worth cutting up the gel block and applying the smaller pieces with tweezers to the sensor - which would give a less aggressive pull?

3. Is there any preferred special technique to use with these gel pads?

Thanks!
John S

by E.J. Peiker on Tue May 01, 2018 4:38 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
First, I would definitely not cut up anything, that's a surefire way to gum up your sensor or worse. Use only the BLUE sensor gelstick in it's entirety on a D850.
1. It will feel very aggressive the first time you use it. I'm still uncomfortable with the amount of tug but I've done it hundreds of times on dozens of cameras with no problems. However, that is my experience and I would not tell you to use them, only say that I have had no problem and let you make your own decision based on your own research.
2. NO!!!! You are likely to either leave gel behind, lose the gel inside the camera or damage the sensor cover with your tweezers.
3. You actually have to get them all the way down on the sensor so that the entire pad is in contact with the sensor and then use a gentle rolling while pulling motion to remove it as it does aggressively stick to the sensor.

by kiwijohn on Wed May 02, 2018 1:40 pm
kiwijohn
Forum Contributor
Kia ora! And many thanks EJ!

I definitely think I will keep the gel stick as a very last resort after automatic sensor cleaning an rocket jets of air have failed!!!

You say you use a blue sensor gel stick? Is that its brand name?

Do you have the url of a supplier handy? I'm after a supplier who will mail to New Zealand, the land time forgot, which simply doesn't exist on many world maps and many suppliers won't mail to!

Cheers, John Sibley

by E.J. Peiker on Wed May 02, 2018 5:32 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
This is the only one that is absolutely 100% genuine:
https://photographylife.com/product/sensor-gel-stick

4 posts |