« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
by Jens Peermann on Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:48 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
135mm is the focal length that I use more than any other and the Canon EF 135 f/2 has been doing a great job for me for almost 20 years now. Since its arrival in 2012 I always wanted to upgrade to the Zeiss 135 f/2 APO Sonnar, but couldn't justify the $2,200 price with the improvements I would get. This has changed now that the price for this lens has dropped to $1,400 (B&H), and I ordered the lens.

As the delivery date (next Wednesday) is approaching, I start wondering about possible problems with the weight of this lens plus the Metabones adaptor on the E-mount. I have a habit of carrying lens and camera mounted on a tripod when hiking. And while most of my lenses are rather heavy, none of them comes close to the 2+ pounds this one weights. Has anybody on this forum experience with that combo and can give some information about potential problems that would require me to change my habit? All contributions appreciated.

Thanks
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:24 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
The only cameras you need to worry about in that regard are the original a7 series not the II or III which replaced the metal covered plastic mount in the first generation with a reinforced all metal mount.

by Jens Peermann on Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:22 am
Jens Peermann
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:The only cameras you need to worry about in that regard are the original a7 series not the II or III which replaced the metal covered plastic mount in the first generation with a reinforced all metal mount.
Thanks E.J.  I remember that partially plastic mount on the a7 and replacing it with an all metal mount from Fotodiox.

It was a recommendation by Diglloyd to use a support bracket when mounting the 135mm Zeiss plus adaptor onto a Sony E-Mount that had me worried. It later occurred to me that I have been using the Sony 100-400 GM - which is twice as heavy as the 135mm Zeiss - on the tiny a6500 for the last 8 month without any issues. So the 135mm Zeiss should be OK.

Thanks again.
A great photograph is absorbed by the eyes and stored in the heart.

3 posts |