« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by signgrap on Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:15 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
This lens looks interesting - in the Sony FE and Canon mounts the lens has 13 blade aperture (Nikon and Fuji versions only 7 blade aperture). What is most interesting is the lens will focus to 2:1 (twice life size) without a macro tube.
One question I have that's not answered in the article is whether the lens has full electronic hook up with a Sony body. The reason I ask is in a customer review of the Laowa 60mm macro it stated that his Sony cameras did not register the aperture. All lens are manual focus only and no IS which I consider non-essential in a macro lens since in almost all macro situations I'd be using a tripod. More here https://www.dpreview.com/news/9785648208/venus-optics-reveals-four-new-laowa-lenses-for-sony-fe-fuji-gfx-and-more
Dick Ludwig

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:57 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
The fundamental problem with Venus Optics Laowa lenses, at least in Sony mount, is that they are not chipped and have no electronic contacts so there is no EXIF info.  Down the line, when you have forgotten, you will have no way of knowing what lens you took the photo with.  It also means that there will be no lens profiles.

by signgrap on Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:21 pm
signgrap
Lifetime Member
Member #:00424
Too bad :( as otherwise the lens looks interesting
Dick Ludwig

by DChan on Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:25 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:... It also means that there will be no lens profiles.
So, why could it be an issue ??

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:03 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
DChan wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:... It also means that there will be no lens profiles.
So, why could it be an issue ??
One of the lenses they introduced is a full frame 10-18mm lens - there is not a super wide lens in the world that doesn't suffer from some rectilinear distortion and significant light fall-off in the corners as well as some chromatic aberration...

5 posts |