Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by SantaFeJoe on Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:59 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
A new Canon mirrorless:

https://apple.news/A_IEQbAsZONuvF6yT6hbYpA

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Lensmaster on Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:32 am
Lensmaster
Forum Contributor
Could be interesting but " silent mode which mutes the shutter sound" Have to wonder just how silent this is if its anything like the other Silent mode on Canon cameras it wont be silent at all .
Rob.

by SantaFeJoe on Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:12 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
That’s the neat part of many mirrorless cameras, you can shoot candid shots of people and wildlife and nobody is aware you are taking a picture. My phone has a silent mode and when I shoot, people say they didn’t hear me take a shot, even though I may have shot several images. That’s great for news conferences, meetings, weddings, wildlife, etc. No mirror to slap makes a huge difference in sound. I like that, but some here have complained of taking multiple shots at high speed and not being aware of taking them because of no sound. That does happen, sometimes.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Mark Boranyak on Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:15 am
Mark Boranyak
Forum Contributor
SantaFeJoe wrote:A new Canon mirrorless:

https://apple.news/A_IEQbAsZONuvF6yT6hbYpA

Joe

Looks nice, but to me it's Canon just dipping their toes into the mirrorless water.

It will be interesting to see this forum once C&N introduce their advanced and pro models., which is sure to come. The lull in activity on this forum will quickly end. :)

by SantaFeJoe on Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:56 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Another review:

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-m50

Joe

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:06 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Dipping their toes? This is a somewhat scaled down version of the very successful M5 and it's rangefinder styled sibling the M6. Canon has been in this low to middle end amateur mirrorless market for a few years now.

by Neilyb on Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:04 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
4k with a 1.7x crop on a 1.6x crop body is plain silly (it is stupid enough on a full frame sensor!).

I do hope Canon release a full frame mirrorless but it had better not be so held back as the previous models. As a pop-in-your-pocket camera it may work, but otherwise another lack luster release.

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:20 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Yeah, Canon never fails to disappoint on 4K capability - always trying to protect their dedicated video camera sales. Meanwhile cameras like the a7S series and GH-X series cleans their clock in that part of the business. Canon is essentially a non-player in that arena (Nikon isn't either)

by Neilyb on Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:08 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Yeah, Canon never fails to disappoint on 4K capability - always trying to protect their dedicated video camera sales.  Meanwhile cameras like the a7S series and GH-X series cleans their clock in that part of the business.  Canon is essentially a non-player in that arena (Nikon isn't either)
If you are buying a pocketable camera and in to another lens system (which the M mount is) why not just go straight to the best APS-c sensor there is in an A6300 or A6500? On sensor PDAF is also miles ahead of the dual-pixel thing.

9 posts |