All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 11 posts | 
by mlgray12 on Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:50 am
mlgray12
Lifetime Member
Member #:01023
I was messing with settings and some way Bluetooth just quit - The option on camera menu is darkened out as well as WiFi and it says in current state camera state Bluetooth not available - any hint on what setting may be wrong or if the camera needs to go to shop?
Thanks Mike
Michael L. Gray
Wildlife and Conservation Bum

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:03 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Make sure Airplane mode isn't set to On. You have to DISABLE airplane mode in the tools menu.

by mlgray12 on Sat Mar 24, 2018 3:50 pm
mlgray12
Lifetime Member
E.J. Peiker wrote:Make sure Airplane mode isn't set to On.  You have to DISABLE airplane mode in the tools menu.
Airplane mode is disabled - It does allow me to connect to smart device but neither snap bridge oor setting on I-phone find camera

and both Blouetooth in menu is set to off and shaded out as is WiFI
Michael L. Gray

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:04 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Check out this thread. It offers several things to try. I'd first try going into the SnapBridge app and disconnecting there as per one of the suggestions in the thread. If that doesn't work, you may have to reset the camera. In any case read through everything here...
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4210490

by SantaFeJoe on Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:55 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Here’s another thread:

Thread on BT and Snapbridge

BT must be 4.0 or newer and not prior versions and registration is mentioned a couple of times. Be sure and check out the highlighted areas down the thread.

And here’s another thread:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Nikon/comments/5duk7h/d3400_bluetooth_connectivity_issue/

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by mlgray12 on Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:04 am
mlgray12
Lifetime Member
Thanks EJ and Joe - I will give these a try - I tried resetting camera when I was in Ecuador but all that did was messed up some shots because in going back through menu I missed getting images stored as raw files now I have some really b=nice photos that are normal jpegs - really sad but learned a valuable lesson.
I will post what worked
Michael L. Gray

by mlgray12 on Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:07 am
mlgray12
Lifetime Member
E.J. Peiker wrote:Check out this thread.  It offers several things to try.  I'd first try going into the SnapBridge app and disconnecting there as per one of the suggestions in the thread.  If that doesn't work, you may have to reset the camera.  In any case read through everything here...
Used link provided by EJ and it worked - Was a bit difficult to figure out exactly how to get to right place in Snapbridge to forget device on I-phone, but after that it allowed me to actually follow directions and reestablish link. My problem started when I was having problem with link while in Ecuador and I used Blue-tooth setting to forget device (I think) Well I-phone may have forgot but Snapbridge did not and then problem sets in with software conflict between Bluetooth on phone and Snapbridge on phone!!!
Michael L. Gray

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:32 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
mlgray12 wrote:Thanks EJ and Joe - I will give these a try - I tried resetting camera when I was in Ecuador but all that did was messed up some shots because in going back through menu I missed getting images stored as raw files now I have some really b=nice photos that are normal jpegs - really sad but learned a valuable lesson.
I will post what worked
Always always always save your camera settings to a flash card before resetting the camera ;)

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:33 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
mlgray12 wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:Check out this thread.  It offers several things to try.  I'd first try going into the SnapBridge app and disconnecting there as per one of the suggestions in the thread.  If that doesn't work, you may have to reset the camera.  In any case read through everything here...
Used link provided by EJ and it worked - Was a bit difficult to figure out exactly how to get to right place in Snapbridge to forget device on I-phone, but after that it allowed me to actually follow directions and reestablish link. My problem started when I was having problem with link while in Ecuador and I used Blue-tooth setting to forget device (I think) Well I-phone may have forgot but Snapbridge did not and then problem sets in with software conflict between Bluetooth on phone and Snapbridge on phone!!!
Nikon's implementation of SnapBridge, BlueTooth and WiFi is so deeply flawed that the best thing they could do is to hire an engineer from Apple and start over on that whole part of the camera's firmware.

by david fletcher on Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:43 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
E.J. Peiker wrote:
mlgray12 wrote:
Nikon's implementation of SnapBridge, BlueTooth and WiFi is so deeply flawed that the best thing they could do is to hire an engineer from Apple and start over on that whole part of the camera's firmware.

gotta be said.  having used iPhones from the 3 upwards, I'm not going to hurrah Apple as their software is also a pig.   Easy to blame Nikon but the iPhone software is a joke and you only have to look at their forums to see most of their issues.  
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:37 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
david fletcher wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:
mlgray12 wrote:

gotta be said.  having used iPhones from the 3 upwards, I'm not going to hurrah Apple as their software is also a pig.   Easy to blame Nikon but the iPhone software is a joke and you only have to look at their forums to see most of their issues.  
I agree but their BlueTooth and WiFi "just works" ;)

11 posts |