« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 22 posts | 
by E.J. Peiker on Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:21 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Scotty wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:I spent pretty much the last 48 hours with it non-stop, ran many tests, some real world shooting and comparisons.  I wrote a mini review based on that.  It's an exceptional lens and blows the doors off the Canon, especially with the TC inserted, and kills any other zoom I have ever used.  It's essentially indistinguishable from a prime and finally solves the Nikon infinity focus sharpness issue...  Quite frankly I wanted to not be as good as it is because then I wouldn't have FOMO and would continue to be happy with my Sigma 150-600 Sport, but that didn't happen... :(   Here's a link to my write-up:
http://www.ejphoto.com/Quack%20PDF/180-400.pdf

Thanks for the great review - just curious if the Nikon 180-400 required much (if any) in the way of focus tuning to get it that sharp?
I calibrated it to three bodies, the biggest offset of the three came to a +5 setting on a brand new just out of the box D850 in the normal 180-400 without TC mode.  All other cals resulted in offsets of 3 or less with and without the TC.

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:22 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Gary Irwin wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote: You mean the one that adds letters P and F to the alphabet soup of lens naming... :D
Ummm....maybe.  :mrgreen:

BTW, if you get a chance E.J., I’d be very interested to see a quick test of this lens with an external TC14EIII. I’m not a fan of TC’s by any means, but if this lens is so sharp, it would be interesting to see if it could do a decent 800mm @f8 (i.e. not stopped down). If sharpness was passable, that would make this lens a really interesting all-in-one option.
I only had a Sigma TC1401 available and it would not mount.  That's the TC built specifically for the Sigma 500 f/4 but does fit some other lenses.

22 posts |