Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
by david fletcher on Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:04 pm
david fletcher
Member #:00525
According to B&H photo, it's on it's way.  

400 2.8
Make your life spectacular!

NSN00525

by MND on Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:11 pm
MND
Forum Contributor
Awesome.

I won’t be able to afford the $10-12k price.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:09 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Sony showed it at the show in Vegas that just ended. There was also one floating around the Olympics. $12K is the estimated price. I hope Sigma brings out a version of their 500 and 150-600 ASAP now that the a9, a7r III and a7 III all ahve AF systems that can focus lenses like this. heck if they came out with a 150-600 version, I'd probably send my Nikon mount version in for the mount conversion.

by Mike in O on Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:54 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
It will not be 10 to 12 but closer to 14 .sorry

by Neilyb on Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:18 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Sony showed it at the show in Vegas that just ended.  There was also one floating around the Olympics.  $12K is the estimated price.  I hope Sigma brings out a version of their 500 and 150-600 ASAP now that the a9, a7r III and a7 III all ahve AF systems that can focus lenses like this.  heck if they came out with a 150-600 version, I'd probably send my Nikon mount version in for the mount conversion.

But a mount conversion would require the extra flange distance that all their new FE lenses have right? Not sure they could make an FE mount strong enough, or am I wrong?

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:45 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Neilyb wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:Sony showed it at the show in Vegas that just ended.  There was also one floating around the Olympics.  $12K is the estimated price.  I hope Sigma brings out a version of their 500 and 150-600 ASAP now that the a9, a7r III and a7 III all ahve AF systems that can focus lenses like this.  heck if they came out with a 150-600 version, I'd probably send my Nikon mount version in for the mount conversion.

But a mount conversion would require the extra flange distance that all their new FE lenses have right? Not sure they could make an FE mount strong enough, or am I wrong?
Shouldn't be a problem.  They announced that they are going to offer it on their primes!  There is nothing inherently weak about the FE mount.  It was just that the original a7 used a plastic mount but they did away with that in later models.

by Neilyb on Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:16 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Neilyb wrote:

Shouldn't be a problem.  They announced that they are going to offer it on their primes!  There is nothing inherently weak about the FE mount.  It was just that the original a7 used a plastic mount but they did away with that in later models.
Just noticed the images of the new Sigma lenses on DPR. I see now, they would replace the entire rear part of the lens from the focusing/zoom ring, thus making it strong enough to handle the extra length needed for the FE mount. Shame they did not design the lens for FE rather than just convert what they had already. A more compact 150-600 or even 100-400 would, IMO, sell. 

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:36 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Super teles wouldn't be more compact, not significantly anyway. A 27mm extension in length on a 500 or 600 is insignificant. A 27mm increase in length on a 24mm lens is huge ;)

by Scott Fairbairn on Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:59 am
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
From the press release," Note: This product is developed, manufactured and sold based on the specifications of E-mount which was disclosed by Sony Corporation under the license agreement with Sony Corporation."
So, if Sigma is now licensed to use the E-mount, and offers a mount conversion service, does that mean the Sigma 500f4 and 150-600(or any of their lenses for that matter) could now be sent to Sigma for conversion to the E-mount?

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:33 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Scott Fairbairn wrote:From the press release," Note: This product is developed, manufactured and sold based on the specifications of E-mount which was disclosed by Sony Corporation under the license agreement with Sony Corporation."
So, if Sigma is now licensed to use the E-mount, and offers a mount conversion service, does that mean the Sigma 500f4 and 150-600(or any of their lenses for that matter) could now be sent to Sigma for conversion to the E-mount?
No, at least not yet.  They have only announced the mount conversion service for the Art series prime lenses so far.  I am hoping that Sigma does produce Sport lenses for E-mount which would likely then bring the mount conversion service to those lenses.  realizes that by going from Canon or Nikon to E-mount is much more than just changing out the mount, it also means changing out the part of the lens barrel that the mount is attached to due to the different flange to sensor distance.

10 posts |