« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 13 posts | 
by capebretondoc on Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:18 pm
capebretondoc
Forum Contributor
Dear NSN participants,
My camera is on its way to CPS for repair but I am wondering if anyone can give me a clue as to what the problem might be.
When I shoot a burst of images (in Manual, AI Servo high speed) one or two images are over-exposed in the sequence of images. There has been no change in the ambient light. I am thinking the mirror is getting stuck for a millisecond?? I called CPS 1 week ago and they told me to use the camera in P (automatic) with different lenses 24-105, 100-400, 600 mm (which I did) but I was unable to reproduce the problem. I then shot today with my 600 mm II and the problem recurred.
I did slip and fall with the camera prior to this issue and hit the top of the camera (and hotshoe) on the ice but this problem did not start until 1 week later.
Any ideas?
Gail
gailbissonphotography.zenfolio.com
Instagram @gailmbisson

by Anthony Medici on Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:57 pm
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
If it is only happening with one lens,
and you aren't shooting with the lens wide open,

it could be that the lens is not stopping down the aperture correctly during the burst.

Was the 600 on the camera when you took the fall?
Tony

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:10 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
It wouldn't be the mirror, it would be the shutter - you likely have a shutter that is a bit sticky or is beginning to fail or got slightly deformed in the fall.

by capebretondoc on Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:22 pm
capebretondoc
Forum Contributor
Thanks for the quick reply. I have been researching this issue ++ in the past 2 hours and I agree with you EJ. Camera only has 101,000 actuations so it is a bit early to start failing. My fall might be the culprit. Do you have a ball park figure re:cost of repair? My 1 DX camera is 15 months old so no warranty left on it,
Gail
Instagram @gailmbisson

by Mike in O on Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:28 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
capebretondoc wrote:Thanks for the quick reply. I have been researching this issue ++ in the past 2 hours and I agree with you EJ. Camera only has 101,000 actuations so it is a bit early to start failing. My fall might be the culprit. Do you have a ball park figure re:cost of repair? My 1 DX camera is 15 months old so no warranty left on it,
Gail
`My guess is the aperture bayonet in the 600....make sure it isn't bent.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:19 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
As Mike said, it could also be the aperture blades in the lens or a balky aperture stop-down tab on the lens. On the lens there is a little tab that should move easily and spring back into place if you move it by hand. I only mentioned the shutter since you dropped the camera and the problem started after that but should have mentioned the aperture stop-down mechanism as it is the number one failure in the Nikon line and the reason the new E lenses don't have it and are fully electronic. I am assuming this is with the older 600mm lens not the newer 600E which does not have an aperture tab.

by Neilyb on Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:57 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
capebretondoc wrote:Thanks for the quick reply. I have been researching this issue ++ in the past 2 hours and I agree with you EJ. Camera only has 101,000 actuations so it is a bit early to start failing. My fall might be the culprit. Do you have a ball park figure re:cost of repair? My 1 DX camera is 15 months old so no warranty left on it,
Gail

My 1Dx had only 130,000 shutter actuation but the shutter failed. Being out of warranty you have no leg to stand on. The marketing is just that, each shutter has it's own mind and can (or might not at all) fail early.

by capebretondoc on Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:27 am
capebretondoc
Forum Contributor
Aperture bayonet seems fine. I will try the 600mm lens with my old 1 DMK IV this am to make sure it is not the lens that is the issue.
Gail
Instagram @gailmbisson

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:35 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Shutter ratings are an MTBF rating - that stands for Mean Time Between Failures. It is just that, a mean. It will have a distribution around that - some will fail much earlier, some much later...

by Mike in O on Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:53 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Another point of failure is oil or lack there of on aperture blades. Using a flash light, look inside the lens while opening and closing aperture and see discoloration or stickiness of the blades.

by capebretondoc on Mon Mar 05, 2018 5:43 pm
capebretondoc
Forum Contributor
Update March 5, 2018
I spoke with Canon this AM and the 1 DX is perfect. They asked me to send in my 600mm to test with the 1 DX with the 600mm. (The problem only appeared with the 600mm lens). Will let you know the result,
Gail
Instagram @gailmbisson

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:07 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Probably an aperture blade issue then.

by christypmaui on Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:36 pm
christypmaui
Forum Contributor
capebretondoc wrote:Dear NSN participants,
My camera is on its way to CPS for repair but I am wondering if anyone can give me a clue as to what the problem might be.
When I shoot a burst of images (in Manual, AI Servo high speed) one or two images are over-exposed in the sequence of images. There has been no change in the ambient light. I am thinking the mirror is getting stuck for a millisecond?? I called CPS 1 week ago and they told me to use the camera in P (automatic) with different lenses 24-105, 100-400, 600 mm (which I did) but I was unable to reproduce the problem. I then shot today with my 600 mm II and the problem recurred.
I did slip and fall with the camera prior to this issue and hit the top of the camera (and hotshoe) on the ice but this problem did not start until 1 week later.
Any ideas?
Gail
I'm looking forward to hearing your results as my newish 1DxII is going in on Monday.  Interestingly, I had the same overexposure issues during HS burst (mostly when the subject was in shade, AV, One Shot) as well as other intermittent nits: 1) didn't focus correctly with subjects <20% of the frame in the distance (ala pre-1DX bodies, looked like shimmers but it wasn't hot), 2) didn't always drive a 500mm II w/1.4x, 3) froze while writing 28 images to a Hoodman CFast card (didn't lose), and 4) froze while changing focus points and/or while changing the ISO.  Turning the camera off/on didn't clear the freezes, only battery removal.  Note: I always use a shutter release cable and am very careful not to stress the connection since I'm a leftie, always use Reduced Shutter Lag and Acquire Focus Speed is set to +1.  If I shot without a cable (brand new + tested 2 older ones), only the freezes went away.  I'm thinking that my problems are due to electrical/circuit board/AF assembly needing adjustments and calibration issues.  Good luck in getting your issue fixed on the first go around.
Loves photographing big cats in Africa, polar bear babies and young Bengal tigers
www.wildliferhythms.com
http://chrisprestegardtraveltipcentral.blogspot.com/

13 posts |