Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by OntPhoto on Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:43 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
I have been looking to pick up a new Canon 6D for its great low light capability but did not want to pay $1299 USD or $1,700 CAD (what it retails for in Canada).  I think at one point in time the 6D was even selling for around $2,000 CAD or higher. 

The camera is so good for low light, some compare it to the 5D MK4 for that feature.  The 5D MK4 may have the edge but the original 6D compares favourably for low light and dynamic range.  I care about the low light mostly.  To be able to shoot at ISO 3,200 or 6,400 and not have to worry about noise is awesome.  I'm using superlatives here but it's true - for me at least.  This coming from someone who has shot only APS-C cameras where high-ISO noise is a fact-of-life that we just accept and deal with in post-processing or exposing to the right, down-sizing or doing longer exposures. 

I remember when the Canon 7D MK2 was being introduced, they had shooters like Scott Kelby expound on the 7D MK2's low light shooting capabilities.  The 100% pixel files still showed a lot of noise but yes, once resized they did look good posted on the web.  I do get away with shooting the 7D MK2 in high ISO sometimes - I mean from ISO 4,000 to maybe ISO 8,000 and get away with it exposing it properly in the first place and then down-sizing the file.  But for the 7D MK2, noise starts to creep in after ISO 1,000.  I occasionally push it to ISO 1,600 and even 2,000.  But give me a real good low-light camera. 

Never wanted to spend too much money on yet another camera, as good as the 6D is, but here it is now selling at an amazing price.  Another superlative but it is true.  $999 USD brand new.  About time.

Looks like they may be clearing them out for $999 USD at Amazon and elsewhere.  Awesome deal. Can't wait to use it.  Sometimes find myself shooting at dusk or in a wooded area late in the day or in overcast lighting (common here in winter) and wishing for a camera like the Canon 6D. 

by Scott B on Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:03 am
Scott B
Forum Contributor
I hope that camera works well for you, even at the $1,299 price I always thought that camera was a pretty good value.

by OntPhoto on Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:41 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Scott B wrote:I hope that camera works well for you, even at the $1,299 price I always thought that camera was a pretty good value.
I am hoping it rocks too.  Look at this review between the 6D and 5D MK3 for astrophotography.  Noise comparison for high ISO long exposures.  6D looks to be the good choice if high ISO low noise is what I'm after.

https://petapixel.com/2012/12/13/canon-6d-and-5dmk3-noise-comparison-for-high-iso-long-exposures/

The test the above article links to.
http://blog.planet5d.com/2012/12/the-high-iso-battle-of-the-full-frame-heavy-weights-canon-6d-vs-canon-5d-mark-iii/

by OntPhoto on Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:53 pm
OntPhoto
Forum Contributor
Last post on the 6D.  The 6D arrived and I tested out the high ISO in very low light.  Worth every penny at $999.  Not afraid to shoot ISO 10,000 anymore.  Very little colour noise at ISO 12,800.  I won't bore you as most know how good the camera is.  I came THIS close to buying a grey market 6D without warranty for $1,020.  Just a few days later, Canon is clearing out the 6D at $999.  Timing is everything.

I did not buy the 6D for action photography so I know what I'm getting into but still, to experience 4 fps vs the 10 fps of the 7D MK2, what a weird feeling.  Shooting the 6D is like going back to my very first DSLR, the Canon Digital Rebel 300D from 2003 which had around 3 fps.  Pretty much, the 6D will be used mostly for people photography and low-light shooting.

4 posts |