Member #:00424
Read about this new shutter here:
https://www.dpreview.com/news/194572435 ... al-shutter 
Dick Ludwig

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:44 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Global shutter, once possible at the full frame sensor level will be the final nail in the SLR coffin - zero movement in the camera with no consequences and virtually no limit on shutter speed, flash sync speed, etc...

by DChan on Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:52 am
DChan
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Global shutter, once possible at the full frame sensor level will be the final nail in the SLR coffin - zero movement in the camera with no consequences and virtually no limit on shutter speed, flash sync speed, etc...
Why? You still have to carry those big, heavy lenses if you're shooting birds and animals.

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:46 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
DChan wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:Global shutter, once possible at the full frame sensor level will be the final nail in the SLR coffin - zero movement in the camera with no consequences and virtually no limit on shutter speed, flash sync speed, etc...
Why? You still have to carry those big, heavy lenses if you're shooting birds and animals.
Not the point - this isn't about lenses.   I said absolutely nothing abut weight. It's about bodies being able to shoot at massive FPS with zero viewfinder blackout and AF that can track any spot anywhere in the frame, full power flash at any shutter speed.  Add to that, that bird/wildlife specialty is about 5% of the camera market.  Sports shooters will appreciate all of that too, especially those that also shoot video.  There is zero rolling shutter with a global shutter, the list of advantages of getting rid of the clunky old mid 1900's technology of a mirror are numerous.  

by DChan on Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:17 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
DChan wrote:
Not the point - this isn't about lenses.   I said absolutely nothing abut weight. [snip]
And yet many believe going mirror-less is a way to lower their load. Sure, to an extent.

[snip] It's about bodies being able to shoot at massive FPS [snip]
With tons of pretty much indistinguishable frames for their viewing pleasure :) 
with zero viewfinder blackout and AF that can track any spot anywhere in the frame,
Sounds nice. Just waiting for their AF to be as good as or surpass that of the DSLR's.
full power flash at any shutter speed. 
That reminds me of the medium format lenses of the old days. Certainly very convenient.
Add to that, that bird/wildlife specialty is about 5% of the camera market.
True that.

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Feb 17, 2018 3:41 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
The really high frame rate with completely silent shooting is a big deal for sports photographers, expecially those shooting golf - getting the ball at the exact moment of impact without having any rolling shutter distortion of the club - similarly baseball and hockey although there isn't a noise sensitivity there...

The only reason Canon and Nikon continue to develop cameras like the 1Dx II and D5 is sports - it drives the "flagship" cameras, essentially nothing else does.

by Anthony Medici on Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:20 pm
Anthony Medici
Lifetime Member
Member #:00012
E.J. Peiker wrote:...full power flash at any shutter speed.
Full power flash will be limited to the decay length of the individual flash itself. Use a shutter speed faster than the decay length and the flash power will be limited based on that length.

It will still be better than the 1/250th or 1/320th that dSLRs are limited to now but it will not be at any shutter speed.
Tony

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Feb 17, 2018 4:30 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Anthony Medici wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:...full power flash at any shutter speed.
Full power flash will be limited to the decay length of the individual flash itself. Use a shutter speed faster than the decay length and the flash power will be limited based on that length.

It will still be better than the 1/250th or 1/320th that dSLRs are limited to now but it will not be at any shutter speed.
Yeah that's true but you are still going to get about a 1/800s or so pulse at full power and much less than that at partial power.

by SantaFeJoe on Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:56 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
When I used to see a news conference, I hated hearing motor drives and mirror slap. Digital changed motor drive noise. I hope this changes mirror slap. It will also be better on the red carpets and runways.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by Primus on Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:43 pm
Primus
Lifetime Member
Member #:02003
With the A9, Sony has come pretty close. There is virtually no sound (if you want it that way), and given no VF blackout with FPS of 20, I found I was taking too many shots without realizing what was happening as the 'blinking corners' in the VF indicating image capture was not enough. I had to enable the soft shutter sound and even then pay very close attention to how long the shutter was being pressed. You can easily end up with thousands of images in just one hour.

Having said that, on a recent bird photo shoot with stationary set-up that birds fly to, the super fast fps revealed bird behavior and maneuvers that were amazing. If you have action that is so fast, the high fps definitely helps.

For me, even the AF is so improved and it can only get better from here (or so we can hope).

Pradeep

10 posts |