All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by E.J. Peiker on Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:59 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Probably my favorite camera body from a direct control standpoint is the Fuji X-T2.  I have praised the way this camera interacts with the photographer many times.  Now Fuji has introduced a new camera with the same direct controls that sits above the X-T2 called the X-H1.  It adds a ton of video capability and for the still photographer adds things like 5 axis IBIS, a truly useful touchscreen.  It uses the excellent Sony 24 megapixel APS-C sensor.  I think this is an exciting camera but it continues the use of the Fuji X-Trans color filter array which I am not a big fan of in lieu of the more traditional Bayer pattern.  I also don't like that the native ISO starts at 200 instead of 100 or even slower but there isn't a better camera on the market from a controls standpoint IMHO.  Build quality is higher, AF is better, EVF is higher resolution with a faster refresh and it inherits some of the features of the medium format GFX...
https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifi ... ons-review

by Mike in O on Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:51 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Except for its retro styling ("80's)...what sets this camera apart from its peers with innovation?

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:56 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Mike in O wrote:Except for its retro styling ("80's)...what sets this camera apart from its peers with innovation?
Fuji would say X-Trans...

by Mike in O on Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:21 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
Being a little sarcastic here...they have produced a camera that can use the excellent lenses that they designed for E mount video.

by DavidSutton on Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:17 pm
DavidSutton
Forum Contributor
Fuji calibrates their ISO based on Standard Output Sensitivity.
Others use the more lenient Recommended Exposure Index.
I doubt there is much difference in reality between the base ISO of most cameras. I wouldn't sweat over it.
I don't have a big preference one way or the other for the X-Trans sensor. It carries a little more detail on the whole, but needs different processing. I don't recommend ETTR with it, but rather look for detail in the highlights in the viewfinder and let the shadows fall where they may. I've never had a problem with noise in the shadows. The resulting colours are superb.
I like the anonymity of the X-T2. I was photographing in a packed cathedral recently on silent shutter and using candlelight for illumination, and disturbed no-one. The other photographer had a DSLR that could be heard across the building every time she pressed the shutter, and a flash that could light up the moon.
The Fuji lenses are half the reason I switched to this brand. The other reason is that DSLRs are basically film cameras with a digital sensor in them. They are nice but humorously unwieldy compared to mirrorless. I make 24 inch wide prints off the X-T1 and X-T2, and I can carry and use these cameras around all day without getting tired (I'm not exactly a teenager any more). I get the shots that others lose because their bodies have given out.
David
David Sutton

by DChan on Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:28 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Probably my favorite camera body from a direct control standpoint is the Fuji X-T2.  I have praised the way this camera interacts with the photographer many times.  Now Fuji has introduced a new camera with the same direct controls that sits above the X-T2 called the X-H1.  It adds a ton of video capability and for the still photographer adds things like 5 axis IBIS, a truly useful touchscreen.  It uses the excellent Sony 24 megapixel APS-C sensor.  I think this is an exciting camera but it continues the use of the Fuji X-Trans color filter array which I am not a big fan of in lieu of the more traditional Bayer pattern.  I also don't like that the native ISO starts at 200 instead of 100 or even slower but there isn't a better camera on the market from a controls standpoint IMHO.  Build quality is higher, AF is better, EVF is higher resolution with a faster refresh and it inherits some of the features of the medium format GFX...
Doesn't look like the guy who wrote that impression review is as thrilled about this camera as you are.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:06 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
DChan wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:Probably my favorite camera body from a direct control standpoint is the Fuji X-T2.  I have praised the way this camera interacts with the photographer many times.  Now Fuji has introduced a new camera with the same direct controls that sits above the X-T2 called the X-H1.  It adds a ton of video capability and for the still photographer adds things like 5 axis IBIS, a truly useful touchscreen.  It uses the excellent Sony 24 megapixel APS-C sensor.  I think this is an exciting camera but it continues the use of the Fuji X-Trans color filter array which I am not a big fan of in lieu of the more traditional Bayer pattern.  I also don't like that the native ISO starts at 200 instead of 100 or even slower but there isn't a better camera on the market from a controls standpoint IMHO.  Build quality is higher, AF is better, EVF is higher resolution with a faster refresh and it inherits some of the features of the medium format GFX...
Doesn't look like the guy who wrote that impression review is as thrilled about this camera as you are.
Where did I say I was thrilled?  I simply said that I like the way a photographer interacts with a Fuji camera and then regurgitated some of the new features.  I also said the things I don't like...

by balazs on Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:38 pm
balazs
Forum Contributor
Mike in O wrote:Being a little sarcastic here...they have produced a camera that can use the excellent lenses that they designed for E mount video.

IMHO, the Fuji system is set apart by very nice glass designed for APS-C sensor size. Smaller, lighter, etc. 

by rajandesai on Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:31 am
rajandesai
Forum Contributor
Member #:01263
DavidSutton wrote:Fuji calibrates their ISO based on Standard Output Sensitivity.
Others use the more lenient Recommended Exposure Index.
I doubt there is much difference in reality between the base ISO of most cameras. I wouldn't sweat over it.
I don't have a big preference one way or the other for the X-Trans sensor. It carries a little more detail on the whole, but needs different processing. I don't recommend ETTR with it, but rather look for detail in the highlights in the viewfinder and let the shadows fall where they may. I've never had a problem with noise in the shadows. The resulting colours are superb.
I like the anonymity of the X-T2. I was photographing in a packed cathedral recently on silent shutter and using candlelight for illumination, and disturbed no-one. The other photographer had a DSLR that could be heard across the building every time she pressed the shutter, and a flash that could light up the moon.
The Fuji lenses are half the reason I switched to this brand. The other reason is that DSLRs are basically film cameras with a digital sensor in them. They are nice but humorously unwieldy compared to mirrorless. I make 24 inch wide prints off the X-T1 and X-T2, and I can carry and use these cameras around all day without getting tired (I'm not exactly a teenager any more). I get the shots that others lose because their bodies have given out.
David
Agree wholeheartedly. Fuji lenses, size, very user-friendly controls on the camera bodies make it a great system. In-body stabilizer in the new body will make it even better. I simply love it as my travel system, I can easily put a couple of lenses in my jacket and travel without a bag if I have to.

9 posts |