Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by jnadler on Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:56 am
jnadler
Forum Contributor
Can anyone comment on the Canon newspaper method? Do you really need to use the computer monitor?

by jrhoffman75 on Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:06 am
jrhoffman75
Forum Contributor
From the guidebook:

"Examine  the  ini+al  test  images,  enlarging   them  on  the  computer.      Playback  on  the   camera’s  rear  LCD  monitor  if  a  computer  is   not  available  is  OK,  but  using  a  desktop  or   laptop  computer  monitor  is  preferable"

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:27 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
It gives you absolutely no idea about where within the acceptable range of focus you are which means you could be giving up DOF with the lens front focusing even though it is within your acceptable level of sharpness at the focal plane but have limited DOF behind the subject while wasting a bunch of it in front of the subject.  this is a really quick and dirty method but a highly inaccurate one.

by Brian K. on Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:08 am
Brian K.
Lifetime Member
Member #:00115
E.J. Peiker wrote:It gives you absolutely no idea about where within the acceptable range of focus you are which means you could be giving up DOF with the lens front focusing even though it is within your acceptable level of sharpness at the focal plane but have limited DOF behind the subject while wasting a bunch of it in front of the subject.  this is a really quick and dirty method but a highly inaccurate one.
E.J.,

I just purchased FoCal to micro adjust my 5D4 and several lenses including a 15 YO 500 f4, which only needed -3 repeated 5 times!. Do you think it's necessary to micro adjust my Canon 100 and 180mm macro lenses?

Thanks

Brian
[b]Brian D. Kennedy[/b]
[b]NSN 0115[/b]
http://www.bdkennedy.com

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:15 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
If you use them in AF then absolutely - the old 180 is likely to need quite a bit of adjustment from my experience. If you use them purely as macro lenses in manual focus then no. Also consider how you use the Macro lenses. If you use them for macro work almost exclusively then do the cal relatively close to the target.

by Brian K. on Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:46 am
Brian K.
Lifetime Member
Member #:00115
E.J. Peiker wrote:If you use them in AF then absolutely - the old 180 is likely to need quite a bit of adjustment from my experience.  If you use them purely as macro lenses in manual focus then no.  Also consider how you use the Macro lenses.  If you use them for macro work almost exclusively then do the cal relatively close to the target.
Thank you!
[b]Brian D. Kennedy[/b]
[b]NSN 0115[/b]
http://www.bdkennedy.com

6 posts |