« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by neverspook on Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:34 am
neverspook
Forum Contributor
So I need to get serious snow goggles for a polar trip I am planning. I will need to be able to change the lenses in them, one lens for bright when I need to protect my eyes and face from cold and one for low light during blizzards when I the goggles to keep driving snow out of my eyes.

It can be challenging to change lenses out in the field with gloves and cold hands. By far the easiest to change are those that attach using magnets, like Anon goggles. These have 6 or 8 magnets that hold the lens in place and so it is possible to change lenses without even taking the goggles off your face.

But I am concerned that the magnets might screw up my CF cards etc. Would that amount of magnetism damage cards or hard drives? 

Thanks.

Roberta Olenick
www.neverspook.com

by SantaFeJoe on Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:13 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
CF cards are not affected by normal magnets. SanDisk says SD cards can withstand up to 5000 Gauss magnets. Much more than you would likely expose them to. Here’s a link:

https://www.supermagnete.de/eng/faq/Wha ... my-devices

What type of hard drive are you asking about?

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:05 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
No effect whatsoever on CF cards. Yo don't want to get them anywhere near a hard drive. An SSD on the other hand would be immune to the magnets.

by neverspook on Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:48 pm
neverspook
Forum Contributor
Thanks!

4 posts |