Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
by 06Honda on Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:19 pm
06Honda
Forum Contributor
Came home from work a llittle today early due to the freezing rain and within 10 mins of arriving a box showed up from Purolator Courier. That was meant to be for sure, as I never ever come early from work for weather.

My long lost AF-S NIKKOR
80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR returned from repair. It was sent in from Kingston, Ontario on 17 Dec 2017 to Mississauga, Ontario. Glad it wasn't sent in in error, look at the list of repairs they did to the lense. Overall excellent job and they cleaned out every spot and speck of dust from inside the lense, very impressed with this. On top of that no-charge. Surprised at all the parts they replaced, not sure if this is a lense issue or just my copy. Total time from being sent in to receiving was 34 days not counting each day for sending both to and from. Also over the Christmas period they would have had some extra time off so not too bad down time.

General Check & Clean

Replaced the following parts:

(1) Lens barrel unit
(2) Rubber grip
(3) Bayonet mount
(4) VR unit

Reason for sending in lens was that I was not able to focus when lens Focus Limit Switch was in the ∞–6 m position: Photos were not sharp and out of focus. It worked fine in the Full position for subjects under 19.69 feet.

Only thing's that I would mention as a con was the log-in at the website never did work for me and I had no idea the repair was done as they didn't inform me of that. Neither are a real big issue but the log-in did cause me to call in and check on the status at one point.

by Tim Zurowski on Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:57 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Wish I could say my experiences with Nikon Canada repair service was a good as yours. You don't say if the lens was still under warranty or not? Was this a warranty repair?

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:37 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Basically the exact same service I had on my 80-400 when the VR unit started oscillating wildly from side to side, even with the VR switch off. the did exactly the same items. I'd be interested in what they charged you for that if you don't mind posting just to compare Canada to USA pricing for the identical service.

by Gary Irwin on Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:43 pm
Gary Irwin
Forum Contributor
Personally I've found Nikon Canada's service to be quite good from a quality-control perspective. Any repair was thorough and the lens and cameras always came back in "like new" condition. My only disappointment was the $1000 out-of-warranty quote I got to replace the lens barrel on my 80-400VR which had a tiny crack in the filter ring which I thought was kinda pricey, but the lens barrel was a single unit that would have necessitated removing all the optics and doing a complete re-assembly and alignment/collimation test. Lesson No. 1: Don't damage the lens. Lesson No. 2: Carry all-risk insurance.
Gary Likes Nature.

by SantaFeJoe on Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:54 am
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Basically the exact same service I had on my 80-400 when the VR unit started oscillating wildly from side to side, even with the VR switch off.  the did exactly the same items.  I'd be interested in what they charged you for that if you don't mind posting just to compare Canada to USA pricing for the identical service.
Hey E.J.
He mentioned "On top of that, no charge." if I read correctly.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:59 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
SantaFeJoe wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:Basically the exact same service I had on my 80-400 when the VR unit started oscillating wildly from side to side, even with the VR switch off.  the did exactly the same items.  I'd be interested in what they charged you for that if you don't mind posting just to compare Canada to USA pricing for the identical service.
Hey E.J.
He mentioned "On top of that, no charge." if I read correctly.

Joe
Ah, missed that, thanks!

by 06Honda on Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:03 pm
06Honda
Forum Contributor
Tim Zurowski wrote:Wish I could say my experiences with Nikon Canada repair service was a good as yours. You don't say if the lens was still under warranty or not? Was this a warranty repair?
Yes under warranty, wasn't sure if they were going to say you must have dropped it and wanted me to pay for it.

by 06Honda on Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:05 pm
06Honda
Forum Contributor
I originally indicated online that it was not under warranty before actually finishing the form, for some reason I thought it only had a 1 year warranty. After checking into to it is has a "five-year limited warranty from the date of purchase." It gave me a quote of $600 appox, but as the warranty was still good if cost $0. I was just curious what it would cost out of warranty.

by Tim Zurowski on Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:44 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
06Honda wrote:
Tim Zurowski wrote:Wish I could say my experiences with Nikon Canada repair service was a good as yours. You don't say if the lens was still under warranty or not? Was this a warranty repair?
Yes under warranty, wasn't sure if they were going to say you must have dropped it and wanted me to pay for it.
Ah, okay . . . . . yes they can be decent when it is a warranty repair or replacement.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:09 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
06Honda wrote:
I originally indicated online that it was not under warranty before actually finishing the form, for some reason I thought it only had a 1 year warranty. After checking into to it is has a "five-year limited warranty from the date of purchase." It gave me a quote of $600 appox, but as the warranty was still good if cost $0. I was just curious what it would cost out of warrant
It was $405 here with the NPS discount so about $500 without NPS.

10 posts |