Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 11 posts | 
by wdg on Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:28 pm
wdg
Forum Contributor
Just want opinions I guess - I have a camera and lenses that I haven't used in over a year. I'm not good about selling. 
I'm trying to decide whether to sell off the things I don't use regularly or at all. 
Is it better to keep or sell?
I think about the lenses I would sell and how the replacements are so expensive now that I doubt I would replace in the future - makes me wonder if I should keep. 

Appreciate any comments 

by Gary Irwin on Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:18 pm
Gary Irwin
Forum Contributor
Since you're looking for personal opinions, my experience is that if I haven't used something in a over a year, I will most likely continue to NOT use it. When it comes to unused technology-related items in particular, they need to be sold quickly and with prejudice. If/when you decide to re-enter photography, I guarantee you there will be a lot of newer & better options available.
Gary Likes Nature.

by stevenmajor on Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:45 pm
stevenmajor
Forum Contributor
Agree with Gary.
I’ve been in a big city this past week around thousands of international tourists and have seen almost zero Dslars around their necks.
Recent posts at NSN have been about selling equipment. You could search them for advise if selling in the States.
GL

by DChan on Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:24 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
wdg wrote:Just want opinions I guess - I have a camera and lenses that I haven't used in over a year. I'm not good about selling. 
I'm trying to decide whether to sell off the things I don't use regularly or at all. 
I think about the lenses I would sell and how the replacements are so expensive now that I doubt I would replace in the future - makes me wonder if I should keep. 

Appreciate any comments 
It's no difference to dealing with other seldom-used items of yours. If you don't need it, don't want it anymore, you can sell it, give it away as a gift, or throw it into the garbage/recycling bin. If you think you could still use a camera in the future but you don't have money to buy whatever the latest and greatest is available at that time, then keep it. Your camera may become obsolete but it's still a camera that can take photographs.

It's your camera, your money. Your call.

by prairiewing on Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:29 pm
prairiewing
Lifetime Member
Member #:00208
I also agree with Gary. I sold about 10 lenses and three bodies on Fred Miranda this week. I look up prices for identical items recently sold, provide brutally accurate descriptions and don’t worry about getting that last 10 to 15%. Since I’ve been in Chicago for a few weeks I decided to try CraigsList too but all I got were scammers and low ballers there.
Like cleaning out any other closet it feels great to rid myself of unused items and move on.
That said, selling is a pita for most of us.
Pat Gerlach

by ricardo00 on Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:32 pm
ricardo00
Forum Contributor
wdg wrote:Just want opinions I guess - I have a camera and lenses that I haven't used in over a year. I'm not good about selling. 

Appreciate any comments 

Okay another opinion.  Only you know why you aren't using the camera and lenses.  In my case, I stopped using my heavy 300mm f/2.8 because of knee and back problems.  I bought the 300mm f/4 PF and subsequently, the 200-500mm lens because of their much lighter weight and used these almost exclusively for a couple of years.  However, a pair of great horned owls appear to be setting up a nest nearby and the extra light I can gather got me to pull out my 300mm f/2.8 and have been using it for the last few weeks and was very glad I hadn't sold it!  (pic below)
  As for camera's, I sold my D200 a while back and got so little and the experience was so unpleasant I have given away my D7000 and D7100 to people who really seem to enjoy using them which makes me happier than getting a couple hundred dollars.  So it depends what you are trying to sell?
  Just a different opinion.
full size pics are on my website

by James W. Milligan on Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:36 pm
James W. Milligan
Lifetime Member
Member #:00249
I too sell equipment that I no longer use or to tread up to a better option. I am finding that the value of used equipment is not where it used to be. Therefore, you will have to swallow hard and move on. I have used MPB and Fred Miranda's selling port. MPB is very easy to use but you will take a hit on the price since they are resellers. I would look at Ebay for some idea of asking price and then go to MPB for a quote. Good luck with your quest.

by prairiewing on Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:16 am
prairiewing
Lifetime Member
Member #:00208
James W. Milligan wrote:I too sell equipment that I no longer use or to tread up to a better option. I am finding that the value of used equipment is not where it used to be. Therefore, you will have to swallow hard and move on. I have used MPB and Fred Miranda's selling port. MPB is very easy to use but you will take a hit on the price since they are resellers. I would look at Ebay for some idea of asking price and then go to MPB for a quote. Good luck with your quest.
I agree with this but would just add that Miranda is a very good source to see how much things are selling for.  Just go to buy and sell and search for the item you wish to sell.  For reasons I can't fathom, some sellers blank out the price after their items sell but most will leave the price intact.
Pat Gerlach

by wdg on Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:45 pm
wdg
Forum Contributor
I appreciate the comments.
I don't get out as much and I think my chosen photography subject has been changing. The birds are still a draw sometimes but not as much as before. Therefore the 500 f/4 (heavy) was going to go along with a couple other lenses. The camera (d4s) has been replaced by the d850 mostly. The price that was quoted for the lenses and camera was not bad.
It's just I find it difficult to let anything go …

by wdg on Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:47 pm
wdg
Forum Contributor
Ricardo00
Nice photo :)

by ricardo00 on Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:14 pm
ricardo00
Forum Contributor
Thanks WDG! I too have a Nikon 500mm f/4G AF-S bought new just about 4 years ago for about $8,000 which I rarely use now since I have the 200-500mm. Would love to upgrade to the new much lighter 500mm f/4E however can't imagine that a used Nikon 500mm f/4 would go for much more than $4,000 to $4,500 since a brand new light Sigma 500mm f/4 is $6,000, more than a pound lighter and better! However since I still occasionally (though rarely) use my 500mm f/4 (with a 1.4TC), I can't imagine selling for this amount. I guess I also find it difficult to let things go . . .

11 posts |