Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 14 posts | 
by Larry Shuman on Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:21 pm
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
I received a D5 XQD Thursday and went out this morning with the D5 and my 600mmF:4 VR. With NX-1 I converted 297 nef files to 16 bit Tiff only to find out the tiff filed were 118.48MB. I deleted the 297 Tiff files and reconverted at 8 bit Tiff. Now I have nearly 60 MB files. Would it be more sense to set the camera to Tiff mode that might deliver files more closer to what the camera produces. I'll reset the camera to 12Bit instead of 14. I never thought the camera would deliver files that are more than twice as big as ones from my D800. I might add that I'm stand alone with my photoshop CS6. So I have being updated.

Thanks
Larry Shuman

by stevenmajor on Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:08 pm
stevenmajor
Forum Contributor
I store all raw files produced off site. I edit from a copied set of those raw files. The very few that I want to work on are converted to 16 bit tiff after adjustments in the raw format. I would set the camera to record as much digital information as possible.
Why are you concerned about the size of your files? Computer slowing down?

by aolander on Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:34 pm
aolander
Forum Contributor
Why are converting them all to TIFFs? Leave them as RAW files and edit with ACR. Convert them to JPEG or TIFF and edit further if the need arises.

"I never thought the camera would deliver files that are more than twice as big as ones from my D800."

It doesn't.
Alan Olander
Minnesota

by Larry Shuman on Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:36 pm
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
No my computer isn't slowing down but the huge file size will fill hard drives twice as fast as my D800 will. I have the camera (D5) set to shoot raw but I'm NOT on the cloud I receive no updates from Adobe so I cannot open raw files from the D5. I'll reset the camera to 12bit from 14 bit to see if that helps when I convert the batch of images.

by aolander on Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:50 pm
aolander
Forum Contributor
Convert the NEFs to DNG with Adobe's DNG converter. Edit in ACR.
Alan Olander
Minnesota

by Larry Shuman on Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:07 pm
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
How do I do That? Don't I have to be on the cloud to do that. Or is that in Nikons NX-1 software?

by Larry Shuman on Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:24 pm
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
I just goggled DNG converter, I guess it converts the ,nef files into a Dng files that will open in ACR. Does it increase the file size. Not that I'm worried about files sizes but I'm used to my D800 and not 118.48 MB or 59MB at * bit size. I just tried downloading a DNG converter from adobe and this is way beyond my basic photopshop knowledge. Its in my download folder so what do I do from here? I tryed extracting the converter but that does not work. I'm lost.

by stevenmajor on Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:51 pm
stevenmajor
Forum Contributor
I would imagine file problems from a new $ 7,000 camera would produce a special kind of tension. If it was me I would try this tomorrow.
Download the free 30 day trial of the newest Photoshop Elements...it should be compatible with the D5. Use it to convert your files to DNG.
GL

by Tim Zurowski on Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:12 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Just go here: https://www.techspot.com/downloads/5368 ... erter.html and download the free Adobe DNG converter. Install it and you will be good to go. The DNG files will be much smaller size than your tiff files and it takes very little time to do the conversion. I had the same issue with my D500 and CS6. I used the DNG converter for a few months, but then got tired of the minor hassle and moved on.

by Larry Shuman on Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:46 am
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
I've loaded up Photoshop Elements 2018. It opens D5 files just fine. Is there a bridge function so I can see the images before opening them?

by photoman4343 on Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:30 pm
photoman4343
Forum Contributor
Larry, there is another workflow that you might want to consider.
Download your NEF images to your pc.
View them and cull them using Nikon View NX-i (or another program. )
Process your best NEFs in Nikon Capture NX-D. They can be loaded into NX-D directly from View NX-i
Convert to 16 bit Tiffs in Capture NX-D.
Then exit NX-D to have the changes reflected in the NEF file.
Further process the Tiffs in CS6.

Tiffs converted from my NEF raw D 800e files are about 207MB in Capture NX-D. The NEF file is about 43MB.
NX-D and NX-i and both free from Nikon and are now downloaded as a package.

If you are not married to Adobe products consider alternative RAW converters like Capture One Pro 10, DXO Photolab and ON1 Photo RAW 2018. Some of these software products have been commented on in the Digital Forum.
Joe Smith

by stevenmajor on Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:34 am
stevenmajor
Forum Contributor
Unless something has changed, the Nikon software was having compatibility problems with Mac...slow, crashing. Not sure what Larry is using.
It takes a village.

by Neilyb on Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:01 am
Neilyb
Forum Contributor
Just a quick question as I am not a Nikon shooter. Are TIFF files uncompressed on Nikon bodies? A lossless RAW file should be around 20MB from the D5, would always try to shoot that format as mentioned above.

by Larry Shuman on Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:52 pm
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
I converted the D5 nef's tp16bit tiff which gave me 118.48MB files. At this size I will fill up my storage very quick. So I re converted to 8 bits tiff which came out as 59 MB.I downloaded Adobe's DNG converter and its works really well. After nef's have been converted I move them to a separate 1TB external drive and process the DNG files in my Win7 pro stand alone CS6. I just looked at the meta data for one shot and I don't see anything missing. There is only 1.5MB difference between the nef and the dng files. I am not on the cloud and I have no problem downloading my other cameras but I have not been updated on my raw file because I'm not on the cloud.

14 posts |