Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by Andrew_5488 on Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:40 am
Andrew_5488
Forum Contributor
After failing built-in calibration (D500) with 300mm VR II + TC's (backfocus) I purchased Focal software
to do calibration which confirmed my D500 is back-focusing. Lens itself at -17,with TC14 below -20.
So I called Nikon service. They told me to send everything so they can check back focus problem which I did.Camera lens plus 3 TC's.
Now today I got estimate for every item. WTF !?
Is this normal ? I would guess I'd get estimate for fixing/adjusting my camera only,not for other items they told me to send too.

Any experience with Nikon Service ?

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:03 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
You have to call them. They automatically give you a standardized repair cost for every item you send them.

by Tim Zurowski on Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:49 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
While I think Nikon Canada is one of the worst service companies I have ever dealt with, they do not do that here. Typically they only give you a "standardized" estimate for the item you are asking them to check and repair. That being said, when I sent my D800 in with my 500 VR and 1.4x, they did not charge me anything for a simple AFFT adjustment. It should not cost therm much at all to adjust the D500 sensor a bit to have it fall with the range.

Don't know if Nikon USA does this, but here they ask you for your VISA card info before they will even look further at it.

by Andrew_5488 on Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:33 pm
Andrew_5488
Forum Contributor
Tim Zurowski wrote:While I think Nikon Canada is one of the worst service companies I have ever dealt with, they do not do that here. Typically they only give you a "standardized" estimate for the item you are asking them to check and repair. That being said, when I sent my D800 in with my 500 VR and 1.4x, they did not charge me anything for a simple AFFT adjustment. It should not cost therm much at all to adjust the D500 sensor a bit to have it fall with the range.

Don't know if Nikon USA does this, but here they ask you for your VISA card info before they will even look further at it.
Same here,CC number taken before even sending items.
Just called them again and was told that all other items will be send back since I don't want to pay for anything else but camera fix.
Why the hell would they tell me to send everything to them in the first place ?
Switch and bait ? Misinformation on a part of phone person ? If I sent only camera I'd save $50 on shipping and insurance cost.

I guess LowePro is the only good company out there (I don't know if their return/replacement policy is still the same as it used to be meaning no questions asked and they send you replacement) and all other are little richards.

Sorry for venting.

PS.My D500 is out of warranty and it's $280, each TC is $105 and 300 VR II is $341.
All for testing focusing on camera. Ridiculous.
Lesson learned. When I'll get D850 i'll make sure I'll test focusing right away so I can send for adjustment if necessary while under warranty.

by Tim Zurowski on Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:22 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Venting is good :)  We can only hope that someday Nikon will get all these messages and once and for all fix their service practices and policies. FWIW, my D800 was past the warranty period, but they adjusted the sensor at no charge anyway. Don't get me going on their inane Country specific warranty policies!

by pablo on Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:48 pm
pablo
Forum Contributor
Tim Zurowski wrote:Venting is good :)  We can only hope that someday Nikon will get all these messages and once and for all fix their service practices and policies. FWIW, my D800 was past the warranty period, but they adjusted the sensor at no charge anyway. Don't get me going on their inane Country specific warranty policies!
After over 20 years of Nikon, I reached a tipping point and switched to Canon.  It was a wise decision only second to marrying my wife more than 50 years ago.  I simply love Canon service.

The Law of Accumulation states that relationships prosper or fail not by one large event but by an accumulation of lesser positives or negatives.  So it was " Good bye Nikon and good luck."

Paul Schmitt

6 posts |