fbpixel
  
« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by andre paul on Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:25 pm
User avatar
andre paul
Forum Contributor
Posts: 1822
Joined: 23 Feb 2007
Location: Sao Paulo - Brazil
Member #:00872
hi there !

anybody her using the breakthrough x4 dark polarizer 6 stops ?

any problems to find the correct polarizing point through the optical viefinder or better using liveview ?

might get one ....

thankyu in advance for any feedback !


andre
andre reichmann
**sao paulo-brazil**
 

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:58 am
User avatar
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Posts: 81146
Joined: 16 Aug 2003
Location: Arizona
Member #:00002
Well basically you are going to give up 6 stops worth of lowlight AF performance. So it just comes down to if your photography can handle that. I am sticking with separate polarizers and ND for now but it is certainly an option as AF systems continue to get better. On something like a D4 or D850 with -4 Ev AF systems it probably won't create too much of a problem but for mirrorless with 0 or -1 Ev capability, it could. Breakthrough has a liberal return policy so give it a try and see if it works for you! Then please report back :)
 

by stevenmajor on Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:44 am
stevenmajor
Forum Contributor
Posts: 54
Joined: 13 May 2015
If you wanted to...could the camera be focused manually before the polarizer was attached?  If so, you could learn the maximum polarizing point before it was attached as well...because when a polarizer is attached, it’s lens closest to the camera is always in the same position.
 

by andre paul on Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:52 am
User avatar
andre paul
Forum Contributor
Posts: 1822
Joined: 23 Feb 2007
Location: Sao Paulo - Brazil
Member #:00872
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Well basically you are going to give up 6 stops worth of lowlight AF performance.  So it just comes down to if your photography can handle that.  I am sticking with separate polarizers and ND for now but it is certainly an option as AF systems continue to get better.  On something like a D4 or D850 with -4 Ev AF systems it probably won't create too much of a problem but for mirrorless with 0 or -1 Ev capability, it could.  Breakthrough has a liberal return policy so give it a try and see if it works for you!  Then please report back :)


actually i will be in new jersey in march so i will possibly add get this filter in march ;-)
i was just wondering about how visible is the polarizer effect through the viewfinder when using this dark polarizer...
  
i am also adding the 15 stop nd . even though i have the 6 and 10 stop , i think that having a slim 15 stop is still better then stacking ... more practical....and thinner if stacking with other gnd...

thanks for the input !!!!!!!!!!!!

andre
andre reichmann
**sao paulo-brazil**
 

by andre paul on Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:54 am
User avatar
andre paul
Forum Contributor
Posts: 1822
Joined: 23 Feb 2007
Location: Sao Paulo - Brazil
Member #:00872
stevenmajor wrote:
If you wanted to...could the camera be focused manually before the polarizer was attached?  If so, you could learn the maximum polarizing point before it was attached as well...because when a polarizer is attached, it’s lens closest to the camera is always in the same position.

yep, 
i was just thinking about polarizing in a dark enviroment.... making this mark should help ....

andre
andre reichmann
**sao paulo-brazil**
 

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:02 pm
User avatar
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Posts: 81146
Joined: 16 Aug 2003
Location: Arizona
Member #:00002
andre paul wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Well basically you are going to give up 6 stops worth of lowlight AF performance.  So it just comes down to if your photography can handle that.  I am sticking with separate polarizers and ND for now but it is certainly an option as AF systems continue to get better.  On something like a D4 or D850 with -4 Ev AF systems it probably won't create too much of a problem but for mirrorless with 0 or -1 Ev capability, it could.  Breakthrough has a liberal return policy so give it a try and see if it works for you!  Then please report back :)


actually i will be in new jersey in march so i will possibly add get this filter in march ;-)
i was just wondering about how visible is the polarizer effect through the viewfinder when using this dark polarizer...
  
i am also adding the 15 stop nd . even though i have the 6 and 10 stop , i think that having a slim 15 stop is still better then stacking ... more practical....and thinner if stacking with other gnd...

thanks for the input !!!!!!!!!!!!

andre
 

Display posts from previous:  Sort by:  
6 posts | 
  

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group