Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 3 posts | 
by DChan on Sat Jan 06, 2018 2:22 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
Found this on imaging-resource.com

Water Torture: Nikon D850 vs Sony A7RIII, Canon 5D Mk IV & Olympus E-M1 II

The loser:  Sony A7R III.

The winners: Canon 5D Mk IV and Olympus E-M1 II.

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:32 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
The results are pretty much what I would have expected but they also don't really test things right. The most serious intrusion into cameras, and just about every camera fails miserably, is intrusion from the bottom side. Basically lets say you set the camera down on the ground and a rogue wave soaks it from underneath. Virtually no camera survives that. Even non-weathersealed cameras do relatively well in rain as long as it isn't excessive or for too long. My a7R2 got absolutely blasted in Singapore and never faltered but had it gotten wet from the bottom it would have been toast.

by Mike in O on Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:28 am
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
The a7rIII failure compared to the other cameras is certainly worth considering when buying a camera. Without a special rubber hot shoe cover, water also got into the 850. IR stated that the A7rIII also let water into the camera from the top (battery compartment had water through out). I sure wish other cameras could be put through this torture test, so that manufacturers could come out with waterproof ratings like cell phones are doing now.

3 posts |