Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by Eia on Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:30 pm
Eia
Forum Contributor
I am ready to buy a 400 lens for hiking and carrying around all day. Cannot use a tripod. Weight is an issue; I struggle carrying around much weight! I almost purchased the new Sigma contemporary 400 but then the Tamron 18-400 zoom lens came out and it weighs less than the Sigma. I know it's a 'super zoom' but the idea of it weighing less and maybe using only one lens - I would not have to carry a 50.

Has anyone here experienced the Tamron 18-400mm f/3.5-6.3? Is it worthy?

Thanks for your suggestions and help.
~AnnaMaria~

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:04 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
It really depends on what your end use for the photos is. If it's for internet posting and small prints it's OK. If you want to make big prints, any lens with that kind of zoom range has to have too many compromises to be really sharp through the whole range, especially on the long end. From the tests I've seen, it is OK at f/11 in the center and softer at faster apertures and very soft in the corners at all apertures. That is typical for any lens with this type of zoom range. You didn't say what system you are using. If Canon, the old Canon 400 f/5.6L, while not image stabilized is an excellent lens. If Nikon, you might consider the 300mm PF with a 1.4x teleconverter.

by Cynthia Crawford on Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:39 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Do you need a zoom or is a fixed lens OK? Agree with EJ on the 2 fixed lenses Canon and Nikon. Have used both and they out-perform any light zoom I have used . I( I have Tamron 150-600-not too shabby and not terribly heavy, but not an all day carry around. My current favorite is Nikon D500 w/1.4 tC and 300 f/4. But I'm almost always wanting the longest reach I can get. Maybe Canon 70-300 f/4 ? Will not take a TC, though-at least last I knew.

Good luck!
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Joel Eade on Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:53 pm
Joel Eade
Forum Contributor
Again, not knowing your base system so unsure of this advice. I shoot Canon and can highly recommend the new version of the 100-400mm zoom.....perhaps the sharpest zoom I have ever used. I don't know about the MTF charts but in use it is right up there with version II 70-200mm and it will take a 1.4 teleconverter getting you out to 560mm in a hand-holdable package.

by Cynthia Crawford on Sat Dec 30, 2017 6:03 am
Cynthia Crawford
Member #:00733
Joel Eade wrote:Again, not knowing your base system so unsure of this advice. I shoot Canon and can highly recommend the new version of the 100-400mm zoom.....perhaps the sharpest zoom I have ever used. I don't know about the MTF charts but in use it is right up there with version II 70-200mm and it will take a 1.4 teleconverter getting you out to 560mm in a hand-holdable package.
I would have mentioned 100-400 II as well, but for me it is heavy...and big. I guess we need to know more about what you have for a camera and what you consider hand-hold-able.
Cynthia (Cindy) Crawford-Moderator, Photo & Digital Art
web site: http://www.creaturekinships.net
"If I Keep a Green Bough in My Heart, the Singing Bird Will Come"  Chinese Proverb

by Karl Egressy on Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:05 am
Karl Egressy
Forum Contributor
Member #:00988
"I am ready to buy a 400 lens for hiking and carrying around all day."
What is the purpose of carrying it around? Wildlife, Bird, Both?
What is your rig; Canon, Nikon or an other system.?
You already had some good advices.
Sigma 100-400 contemporary is very light, reasonable good.
If you care more about quality and happen to be a Canon shooter, 100-400 f 4.5-5.6 Mark II is the best.
My 73 year old wife carries it all day, and she is not a strong person to begin with.

by Eia on Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:17 pm
Eia
Forum Contributor
Hi,
Thanks for the suggestions. It would be used primarily on a 7200 (Nikon) for wildlife/birds. I would prefer a zoom just for options; once in awhile I get really close. I also want the option for good, quality large prints . It sounds like the Tamron won't fill those needs due to it's 'super' zoom. I do have a 55-300 VR (never was satisfied with it)  - so maybe I could add the 1.4x tc?

So, how about the Sigma contemporary 400 on the 7200? The weight is not too terribly bad but I don't think I can do more.
(see it is $100.0 off until Dec. 31)!
~AnnaMaria~

by Tim Zurowski on Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:00 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
From what you have said, it sounds like weight and quality are paramount. With that in mind, no question your best option is the Nikon 300 f4 VR PF used with and without the TC-14E III. None of the other options will be nearly as light or offer quite the same quality on your D7200. That combo can also be used for semi-macro work like butterflies, dragonflies, flowers, mushrooms, etc. The only thing it doesn't offer is the zoom factor. For that, I would carry a small lightweight lens like the Nikon 50mm f1.8D ;)

by Eia on Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:13 pm
Eia
Forum Contributor
Tim Zurowski wrote:From what you have said, it sounds like weight and quality are paramount. With that in mind, no question your best option is the Nikon 300 f4 VR PF used with and without the TC-14E III. None of the other options will be nearly as light or offer quite the same quality on your D7200. That combo can also be used for semi-macro work like butterflies, dragonflies, flowers, mushrooms, etc. The only thing it doesn't offer is the zoom factor. For that, I would carry a small lightweight lens like the Nikon 50mm f1.8D ;)
Well - I am leaning toward the Sigma; the 300 PM + the tc is a bit above what I wanted to pay. I have until tomorrow midnight to decide.
the 50 mm is my fave lens - I take it everywhere! :)
~AnnaMaria~

9 posts |