Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 6 posts | 
by 06Honda on Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:28 am
06Honda
Forum Contributor
Are any members currently shooting with the NIKON AF-S NIKKOR 300MM F4D IF-ED, and how does it perform handheld when using a Nikon Teleconverter. Thanks for any info.

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:57 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
That lens has always worked relatively well with a 1.4x but not the 1.7x or 2x from a sharpness standpoint. Do note that the current TC-14E III is not compatible with that lens. you will need to find an older TC-14E II.
http://cdn-5.nikon-cdn.com/Assets/Commo ... chart.html

I also HIGHLY recommend that you do an AF calibration with that combo as it will likely need some adjusting for maximum sharpness.

by 06Honda on Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:50 pm
06Honda
Forum Contributor
Thanks E.J.

by Tim Zurowski on Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:59 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
I used that lens and combo for over 10 years and it is a great system; however, it was not the best for hand holding with no VR in it. It was definitely workable, but typically yielded better results on a tripod. I would seriously consider the new Nikon 300 f4 PF VR lens. I switched to it a little over a year ago. It is just as sharp, works really well with the TC-14E III, is really small and light and fantastic for using hand held. IMHO, It beats the older version in every way, other than price.

Contrary to EJ's findings. I used the original Nikkor 300 f4 with the TC-17E II a fair bit and it worked very well on that lens. Probably the best lens I ever used it on. This was primarily for dragonfly or butterfly photography where I was very close and on a tripod. The IQ (at f9) was just as good as with the 1.4x and allowed for more magnification at the same working distance.

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:23 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Tim Zurowski wrote: Contrary to EJ's findings. I used the original Nikkor 300 f4 with the TC-17E II a fair bit and it worked very well on that lens. Probably the best lens I ever used it on. This was primarily for dragonfly or butterfly photography where I was very close and on a tripod. The IQ (at f9) was just as good as with the 1.4x and allowed for more magnification at the same working distance.
It may be fine for closeup work but at distance, it was definitely not - tried several 1.7x TCs.  Never did any close-ups though and Nikon long lenses especially with TCs have always been better at closer distances.

by Tim Zurowski on Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:41 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Agreed :)

6 posts |