Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 4 posts | 
by 06Honda on Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:53 pm
06Honda
Forum Contributor
I am going to try back button focusing with my D7200 and understand their are 2 steps to do this under "Custom Setting Menu":

(1) f Controls - f4 - AF-ON

(2) a Autofocus - a4 AF activation - AF-ON only

Before shooting using BBF I mostly used AF-C and switched between the Release & Focus options. Does it matter if a1 AF-C priority selection is in Release or Focus when using BBF.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:33 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Yes, those are the correct settings.  

AF-A will only fire the shutter if the AF system deems the subject in focus which it may not always do even though the subject is in focus.  For example you are panning along with a bird and you momentarily drop off the bird with the AF sensor, the camera will stop shooting until it decides it has reacquired focus even though the subject might still be perfectly in focus.  Go with Release for that setting.

by Mark Robinson on Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:47 am
Mark Robinson
Forum Contributor
06Honda wrote:I am going to try back button focusing with my D7200 and understand their are 2 steps to do this under "Custom Setting Menu":

(1) f Controls - f4 - AF-ON

(2) a Autofocus - a4 AF activation - AF-ON only

Before shooting using BBF I mostly used AF-C and switched between the Release & Focus options. Does it matter if a1 AF-C priority selection is in Release or Focus when using BBF.
Hi Paul,

I believe that once you have tried BBAF,  you will never return to traditional auto focus. It becomes second nature quickly, and far superior IMO.

Steve Perry has a very good video on the topic that is Nikon based.

https://backcountrygallery.com/af-on-an ... autofocus/

Have fun.
Mark Robinson
http://www.critterlight.com

by 06Honda on Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:17 am
06Honda
Forum Contributor
Thankyou both, will check out the video.

4 posts |