« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 54 posts | 
by Charlie Woodrich on Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:29 pm
Charlie Woodrich
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:
Charlie Woodrich wrote:
Charlie Woodrich wrote:For still subjects (mainly birds) I've  used the Canon 600 V2 + 1.4Tc III (and sometimes with the 2.0 III) with the Sony a7R2 and the image quality was well above the files produced by the 5D3. But once the subject moved, in terms of AF, you had to start all over again, and it wasn't easy. The a7R3 is in the mail.  Can't wait to try it out with this combo.
Just tested this out (a7R3+metabones IV+Canon 1.4 III+ Canon 600V2). I haven't run it through any paces yet but my first impression is this is a very adequate set up for still images. Much easier (but not quick) to AF than on the a7R2. One thing that concerns me is the lens makes kind of a low growl when trying to achieve focus.
Pretty much mirrors my experience that I wrote about in the review.  In my case MC-11 + Sigma 500 f/4, no problem, Add the 1.4x and it's no problem for perched birds but not for flight.  No growl though...  In general I think the MC-11 is a better adapter than the Metabones, even for most Canon lenses even though they aren't officially supported.
Thanks!  Much appreciated.  The MC-11 for Canon must be good.  I can't find one to buy.

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:16 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
All Sigma MC-11 are for Canon mount lenses. It's the only adapter they make. It is specifically marketed for Sigma lenses with a Canon mount and is only guaranteed for that but it works as well, if not better than the Metabones on most Canon lenses. For a specific combo I would google to see what user experiences are.

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:24 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
The a7R II and a7R III use the same sensor and only the imaging pipeline has changed so I wouldn't expect much of a difference in image quality - it's really the frame rate, AF, and battery where the major changes are allowing the a7R III to get shots that are either difficult or even impossible with the a7R II. The D850 is very similar in image quality and it really comes down to what you'd rather work with and lens choices, rather than an IQ choice, IMHO. Among the bread and butter lenses, the Sony 16-35 is vastly superior to both the Nikon 14-24 and 16-35, the 24-70's are comparable, and the Nikon 70-200E is slightly ahead of the Sony, the Sony 100-400 is in a different universe than the Nikon 80-400. Pixel Shift is not useful on the Sony outside of a static studio environment.

by Charlie Woodrich on Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:41 pm
Charlie Woodrich
Forum Contributor
Just observed some odd behavior on the a7R3.  Doing some flower macro shots with Metabones IV+Sigma 150 Macro V2 using the flip screen and every time I took a shot the image jumped on the screen.  The files were fine.  I just thought was unusual.

by MND on Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:20 am
MND
Forum Contributor
Charlie Woodrich wrote:Just observed some odd behavior on the a7R3.  Doing some flower macro shots with Metabones IV+Sigma 150 Macro V2 using the flip screen and every time I took a shot the image jumped on the screen.  The files were fine.  I just thought was unusual.
I see that on the native 100-400GM as well so I don’t think it’s anything to worry about. Probably an effect of the stabilization.

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:14 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Charlie Woodrich wrote:Just observed some odd behavior on the a7R3.  Doing some flower macro shots with Metabones IV+Sigma 150 Macro V2 using the flip screen and every time I took a shot the image jumped on the screen.  The files were fine.  I just thought was unusual.
Turn off lens OS and IBIS!  Does it still happen?

by Charlie Woodrich on Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:06 pm
Charlie Woodrich
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:All Sigma MC-11 are for Canon mount lenses.  It's the only adapter they make.  It is specifically marketed for Sigma lenses with a Canon mount and is only guaranteed for that but it works as well, if not better than the Metabones on most Canon lenses.  For a specific combo I would google to see what user experiences are.
Just got the MC-11.  Tried it out with the Sony a7R3 + Canon III 2.0 TC + Canon 600 V2.  Focus acquisition is better.  Goodbye Focal.  Thanks!

by Greg Schneider on Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:49 pm
Greg Schneider
Forum Contributor
Charlie Woodrich wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:All Sigma MC-11 are for Canon mount lenses.  It's the only adapter they make.  It is specifically marketed for Sigma lenses with a Canon mount and is only guaranteed for that but it works as well, if not better than the Metabones on most Canon lenses.  For a specific combo I would google to see what user experiences are.
Just got the MC-11.  Tried it out with the Sony a7R3 + Canon III 2.0 TC + Canon 600 V2.  Focus acquisition is better.  Goodbye Focal.  Thanks!
How do you find off-center AF points? I've found them rather inconsistent even for static subjects using the 600 II (sometimes w/1.4x) using the MB IV especially if contrast or light is lower.
[b]Greg Schneider[/b]
Gallery: [url=http://www.gschneiderphoto.com]gschneiderphoto.com[/url] || Blog: [url=http://www.birdphotographyblog.com]birdphotographyblog.com[/url]

by Charlie Woodrich on Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:09 pm
Charlie Woodrich
Forum Contributor
Greg Schneider wrote:
Charlie Woodrich wrote:
How do you find off-center AF points? I've found them rather inconsistent even for static subjects using the 600 II (sometimes w/1.4x) using the MB IV especially if contrast or light is lower.
Off center focus points in low light aren't attaching.  I guess it's back to back button focus (focus then recompose) for off center subjects.

by E.J. Peiker on Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:25 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Not sure what you mean with "off-center points in low-light aren't attaching" ???

by Primus on Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:04 am
Primus
Lifetime Member
Member #:02003
One thing I discovered recently and am amazed by is the 'focus hold' button on the Sony lenses. All the G and GM ones seem to have it.

I assign the button to 'AF' and use my thumb to focus while looking into the EVF or the LCD screen. It works extremely well, especially for BIF when using the larger 100-400 lens with or without a tripod. It helps steady the lens too. Since the button is on all four sides of the barrel, it is easy to use it in any position, with the thumb or the fore-finger when looking down at the LCD from above for low-level shots.

I have given up on the back-button for AF. Never used the shutter release for this either.

Using the A9 in this fashion with the 100-400 has been a real pleasure. Even with the A7R3 it has made life so much easier with the 24-105 or the 16-35 lenses for close-up shots.

Pradeep

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:36 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
That's exactly how I have configured my focus hold button - rather than focus hold, I initiate continuous AF with the button as on the 100-400 it falls in a great place to do that and it's ergonomically so much better than using a thumb on the rear AF button.  I do write about that in my article on the a7R III.

by MND on Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:14 pm
MND
Forum Contributor
Remember you can also configure the lens Focus Hold Button to Recall a Custom Configuration. I have mine set to recall a BIF configuration. No matter what mode I am in, I press the focus hold and I'm in Manual Exposure, 1/2000 sec, Continuous Shooting, ISO Auto, Highlight metering, Continuous AF and Expandable Flexible Spot.

by Primus on Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:47 pm
Primus
Lifetime Member
Member #:02003
Sorry, EJ, did not read your article fully  :oops:

I always shoot completely manual, though sometimes auto ISO is useful. I have customized the C2 button for 'recall custom config' for motion blurs on birds in flight and such. I press that button with my index finger, the shutter with my middle finger and the focus hold on the lens with my left thumb as I zoom in or out and focus on the birds/animals. 

I made a prediction to our tour leader on a recent workshop - he is a dedicated Nikon man - that within 3 yrs he would be switching to Sony  :D

Pradeep

54 posts |