Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 12 posts | 
by Tim Zurowski on Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:51 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
I sold my Nikon 500 f4 VR lens on FM a few days ago. I included shipping and PayPal fees in the sale price, but that did not include insurance. The guy wanted it insured and sent me a PayPal payment to cover the insurance cost, but here is my problem. Neither Canada Post, UPS or Fedex will insure an item for a value beyond their maximum. Canada Post and Fedex have a max of $1000 value and the UPS max is $2500. So does everybody just risk it and ship all their sold and/or purchased gear uninsured? Fedex told me you would have to go through your insurance company and pay their premiums.  I find this very odd that there is no way to ship an item around the world insured for its declared value??

by paul weston on Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:04 pm
paul weston
Forum Contributor
 I ran into the same problem when i sold my 500VR. Shipped it to the yukon insured for less than the full value with UPS, it worked out but i was very nervous about  it.

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:37 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
You don't have much of a choice but to risk it. But, if you have the lens insured for yourself, if something happens and it gets destroyed and you have to refund the money, you still own it and your insurance carrier should cover it. It's questionable though if they will cover it if lost in shipping. You could ask your insurance if they cover an item that you lone when shipping it.

by Tim Zurowski on Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:58 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Unfortunately here in Canada our home insurance will not cover camera gear if you make any money from your photo sales; even if it is $1. Anyway, I shipped the lens uninsured via Canada Post. They have a better record of not damaging packages when compared to UPS. Seems crazy to me though??

I do assume though that the lens well packed and inside the stock Nikon camera case, it should be extremely hard to damage it.

by DChan on Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:13 pm
DChan
Forum Contributor
Uninsured??  

You sure have a lot of confidence in Canada Post :-)

by Tim Zurowski on Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:21 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
DChan wrote:Uninsured??  

You sure have a lot of confidence in Canada Post :-)
Did you even read what I wrote in my first post?  :?

by flygirl on Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:11 pm
flygirl
Lifetime Member
Member #:00824
Why do they have such a low maximum amount??? I have shipped my older 500 twice to Nikon with the full insurance not problem and when I sold it no problem via FedEx. It this just Canadian thing??

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:37 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Tim Zurowski wrote:Unfortunately here in Canada our home insurance will not cover camera gear if you make any money from your photo sales; even if it is $1. Anyway, I shipped the lens uninsured via Canada Post. They have a better record of not damaging packages when compared to UPS. Seems crazy to me though??

I do assume though that the lens well packed and inside the stock Nikon camera case, it should be extremely hard to damage it.
That's the same in the US so I was thinking that maybe you would have some other policy for your gear.

by Tim Zurowski on Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:01 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
That's a good question Nancy. It may just be a Canadian thing. Whatever it is, it seems insane to me. I was totally shocked when they told me I could not insure it for the full value.

EJ, I would if I could afford. Again, up here they really sock it to us with add on insurance. When I talked to the company we insure our house with, they wanted $1000 a year to insure my camera gear. Just too expensive for me. You guys have less expensive options in the US.

by DOglesby on Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:19 pm
DOglesby
Lifetime Member
Member #:01155
Tim Zurowski wrote:That's a good question Nancy. It may just be a Canadian thing. Whatever it is, it seems insane to me. I was totally shocked when they told me I could not insure it for the full value.

EJ, I would if I could afford. Again, up here they really sock it to us with add on insurance. When I talked to the company we insure our house with, they wanted $1000 a year to insure my camera gear. Just too expensive for me. You guys have less expensive options in the US.
Don’t know how much gear you have but it costs me about $750 a year to insure about $12K through Chubb with a NANPA discount in the USA.
Cheers,
Doug

by E.J. Peiker on Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:37 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Tim Zurowski wrote:That's a good question Nancy. It may just be a Canadian thing. Whatever it is, it seems insane to me. I was totally shocked when they told me I could not insure it for the full value.

I wasn't talking about add-on to homeowners, if you've ever sold a photo that isn't going to work.  I was talking about a stand alone policy but it is clear that you don't have one so that's not going to work either.  In that case, ship it and hope for the best, it's your only option if you want to sell it to him.

by Tim Zurowski on Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:11 am
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Thanks EJ . . . . . that's what I did. It was packed almost bomb proof, so I feel fairly safe about it

12 posts |