All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 26 posts | 
by Vivek on Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:37 am
Vivek
Lifetime Member
Member #:01186
OK, so I just came back from Antarctica, Argentina and Chile where I took the Sony RX10-IV. Sadly, I realize that this is not my cup of tea and after less than 50 shots, the camera was returned to B&H for the following reasons:

[ul]
[li]The AF is simply NOT fast enough coming from the Canon DSLR bodies. [/li]
[li]The menu system is weird for me. I could get used to it if I wasn't used to Canon. Using both in the field was quite frustrating. [/li]
[li]The zoom function on the lens is weird - sometimes the ring did not seem to "respond". I have a feeling that there is some "clutch" mechanism that needs to be understood and I think that it might be buried in the menu somewhere. I did not have the time to debug this and did not want to do it in the field either. [/li]
[li]The EVF is not something I can live with - this one is quite good, but not good enough for me. When fully zoomed out, there seems to be some "delay" in the initial AF, enough to cause issues with shooting in servo mode when on a boat. [/li]
[/ul]

The good things about it: 
[ul]
[li]24fps is actually nice if you need it. I have gone away from the high burst shooting so it did not matter to me. [/li]
[li]The actual quality of the RAW file is very nice, especially if the light is good - which is all I photographed.[/li]
[li]Would be a really good "one" camera if I left everything else at home. [/li]
[/ul]

I have a few extras for it if anyone is interested. These were bought locally and so cannot be returned. PM me if you're interested. The camera has been returned to B&H. 
-- Vivek Khanzode
http://www.birdpixel.com

by Scott Fairbairn on Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:50 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
Vivek wrote:OK, so I just came back from Antarctica, Argentina and Chile where I took the Sony RX10-IV. Sadly, I realize that this is not my cup of tea and after less than 50 shots, the camera was returned to B&H for the following reasons:

[ul]
[li]The AF is simply NOT fast enough coming from the Canon DSLR bodies. [/li]
[li]The menu system is weird for me. I could get used to it if I wasn't used to Canon. Using both in the field was quite frustrating. [/li]
[li]The zoom function on the lens is weird - sometimes the ring did not seem to "respond". I have a feeling that there is some "clutch" mechanism that needs to be understood and I think that it might be buried in the menu somewhere. I did not have the time to debug this and did not want to do it in the field either. [/li]
[li]The EVF is not something I can live with - this one is quite good, but not good enough for me. When fully zoomed out, there seems to be some "delay" in the initial AF, enough to cause issues with shooting in servo mode when on a boat. [/li]
[/ul]

The good things about it: 
[ul]
[li]24fps is actually nice if you need it. I have gone away from the high burst shooting so it did not matter to me. [/li]
[li]The actual quality of the RAW file is very nice, especially if the light is good - which is all I photographed.[/li]
[li]Would be a really good "one" camera if I left everything else at home. [/li]
[/ul]

I have a few extras for it if anyone is interested. These were bought locally and so cannot be returned. PM me if you're interested. The camera has been returned to B&H. 
You took less than 50 shots and returned it, or decided you didn't like it at that point, but used it on your trip and then decided to return it when you got back from your trip?

by baldsparrow on Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:07 pm
baldsparrow
Forum Contributor
I have the previous version of this camera (Sony RX10-III) which has even slower AF ... but what it does have is "focus peaking" which allows you to very rapidly acquire manual focus on anything using that EVF screen in the viewfinder. It is remarkably accurate and, something very hard to do with Canon and other DSLRs, it lets you focus through those pesky branches and leaves between you and the bird or whatever. Give it a chance.

by Vivek on Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:53 pm
Vivek
Lifetime Member
Scott Fairbairn wrote:You took less than 50 shots and returned it, or decided you didn't like it at that point, but used it on your trip and then decided to return it when you got back from your trip?
Why does it matter to you Scott? Judgemental much?
-- Vivek Khanzode

by Vivek on Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:55 pm
Vivek
Lifetime Member
baldsparrow wrote:I have the previous version of this camera (Sony RX10-III) which has even slower AF ... but what it does have is "focus peaking" which allows you to very rapidly acquire manual focus on anything using that EVF screen in the viewfinder. It is remarkably accurate and, something very hard to do with Canon and other DSLRs, it lets you focus through those pesky branches and leaves between you and the bird or whatever. Give it a chance.
Yes I played with it a bit, but it was not able to match my micro-adjusted DSLR sharpness. Also, I decided that it wasnt for me, so it has been returned.
-- Vivek Khanzode

by Scott Fairbairn on Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:38 pm
Scott Fairbairn
Forum Contributor
Member #:00437
Vivek wrote:
Scott Fairbairn wrote:You took less than 50 shots and returned it, or decided you didn't like it at that point, but used it on your trip and then decided to return it when you got back from your trip?
Why does it matter to you Scott? Judgemental much?

Who's judging? I'm trying to understand what you wrote. The way it's written it seems you took it with you but took less than 50 shots overall because you didn't like it and returned it when you got back? 

26 posts |