Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 10 posts | 
by Larry Shuman on Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:39 pm
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
Are any of the third party collars for the Nikkor 200-500mm F:5.6 VR any good? The enclosed collar allows what ever camera to rotate with the lens to any degree, be it on a monopod or ball head. The enclosed (Nikon) collar will not provide enough tightening pressure to stop the rotation. So will the third party collars provide enough pressure to stop the rotation? I would hate to spend $190 (Kirk) or $250 (RRS), I am retired so there is NOT a unlimited budget here.

Cheers
Larry

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:50 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Larry, I'm pretty sure if you order direct from them, both companies will allow a return. In general both usually overcome any shortcomings of the stock collar/foot.

by Walter Flint on Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:46 pm
Walter Flint
Forum Contributor
Speaking briefly, the RRS replacement collar and foot are an improvement over the Nikon stock collar. I bought one right away as the Nikon collar was completely unacceptable to me. To answer your specific question: Yes, the RRS LC-A14 does provide enough pressure and grip to prevent rotation of the lens in the collar..

by aolander on Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:25 pm
aolander
Forum Contributor
I thought the stock collar was supposed to be fairly good as compared to some from Nikon. Not so?
Alan Olander
Minnesota

by Tim Zurowski on Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:06 am
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
I just recently bought a Nikon 200-500 and I was originally going to purchase a Kirk collar for it, but when I saw how well the stock collar worked, I decided not to waste my money and just got a Wimberley plate for it. I have 5 other friends with the same lens; so 6 copies, and not one of them has a problem with the lens rotating when it is tight. To me, this would suggest that you may have a faulty collar and should check with Nikon on that.

by Larry Shuman on Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:58 am
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
Tim: Do your friends hand hold the lens or do they use a tripod or monopod? The condition only happens when installed on a monopod or tripod. This afternoon I'm going to cut a couple pieces of cardboard and install them on the collar and see iif it tightens up.

by Tim Zurowski on Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:19 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
Larry Shuman wrote:Tim: Do your friends hand hold the lens or do they use a tripod or monopod? 
Tripod, including myself.

by Larry Shuman on Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:06 pm
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
I just now fixed mine. I cut a piece of photo paper about 1/4" wide and put on a piece of double faced tape. I trimmed the sides of tape and applied it to the lens.
When I reinstalled the collar I spread it a little to get past my paper/tape. I tightened the collar and there is NO rotational movement at all. All is well in the world now.

by aolander on Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:47 pm
aolander
Forum Contributor
There could be something wrong with the threads on the tightening screw or the hole it threads into which doesn't allow it to tighten far enough.
Alan Olander
Minnesota

by Larry Shuman on Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:31 pm
Larry Shuman
Forum Contributor
I called the store where I bought the lens and they said to send it back. Since I am using the lens almost daily sending it back wasn't in the cards. So I gave it a little thought and came up with a way to fix it.

10 posts |