fbpixel

Moderators: E.J. Peiker, Greg Downing

All times are UTC - 5 hours

  
« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 11 posts | 
by Andrew_5488 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:30 am
Andrew_5488
Forum Contributor
Posts: 266
Joined: 15 Feb 2012
Location: NY
Can somebody tell me if TC-14e III will fit into Nikon's extension tube (camera->TC->extension tube) or what's internal diameter of PK-13/12/11 ?
I'm asking because I tried with Kenko's tubes and TC-14 won't fit. I suppose TC-14e III wouldn't either.

Also when looking at B&H webpage for Nikon's PK-13 there's a note saying it's not going to work with G lenses. Is this true ?

Thanks
 

by aolander on Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:16 pm
aolander
Forum Contributor
Posts: 235
Joined: 03 Jul 2004
Andrew_5488 wrote:
Can somebody tell me if TC-14e III will fit into Nikon's extension tube (camera->TC->extension tube) or what's internal diameter of PK-13/12/11 ?
I'm asking because I tried with Kenko's tubes and TC-14 won't fit. I suppose TC-14e III wouldn't either.

Also when looking at B&H webpage for Nikon's PK-13 there's a note saying it's not going to work with G lenses. Is this true ?

Thanks


I have a Nikon TC-14E II and neither the Kenko or Nikon tubes will fit on the front of it because of the protruding front element.  Both Kenko and Nikon tubes will fit on the back of the TC so mount them there instead.

Nikon tubes will not work with G lenses.  The lens will stay stopped down to the smallest aperture if you do use them.
Alan Olander
Minnesota


Last edited by aolander on Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
 

by Wildflower-nut on Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:25 pm
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
Posts: 481
Joined: 04 Mar 2008
If you put it between the body and the tc, the tube will have less effect.
 

by aolander on Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:50 pm
aolander
Forum Contributor
Posts: 235
Joined: 03 Jul 2004
Wildflower-nut wrote:
If you put it between the body and the tc, the tube will have less effect.



Yes, but they will work.  They won't work at all the other way.
Alan Olander
Minnesota
 

by Andrew_5488 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:06 pm
Andrew_5488
Forum Contributor
Posts: 266
Joined: 15 Feb 2012
Location: NY
aolander wrote:
Wildflower-nut wrote:
If you put it between the body and the tc, the tube will have less effect.



Yes, but they will work.  They won't work at all the other way.


You said in previous post that they won't (camera->tube->TC) ?
 

by aolander on Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:24 pm
aolander
Forum Contributor
Posts: 235
Joined: 03 Jul 2004
Camera > tube > TC fits.  Camera > TC > tube doesn't fit.  I said they will fit if you mount the tube to the back of the TC, i.e. camera > tube > TC.  

You're misinterpreting my answer to Wildflower-nut.
Alan Olander
Minnesota
 

by Andrew_5488 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:09 pm
Andrew_5488
Forum Contributor
Posts: 266
Joined: 15 Feb 2012
Location: NY
aolander wrote:
Camera > tube > TC fits.  Camera > TC > tube doesn't fit.  I said they will fit if you mount the tube to the back of the TC, i.e. camera > tube > TC.  

You're misinterpreting my answer to Wildflower-nut.


Sorry, I ment to write [font=Arial, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, sans-serif]camera->TC->tube.[/font]

[font=Arial, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, sans-serif]Are they not compatible with G lenses because they don't have electrical contacts or for some other reason ?[/font]

[font=Arial, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, sans-serif]Thanks[/font]
 

by SantaFeJoe on Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:38 am
User avatar
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Posts: 5306
Joined: 28 Jan 2012
Andrew
The PK-11a, 12, 13, and PN-11 were designed pre-autofocus, so they have no contacts. Lenses used with these tubes must have manual apertures if you are going to use them at different apertures. Nikon has stuck with the same mount consistently throughout a long period of manual and autofocus generations.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso
 

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:54 am
User avatar
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Posts: 80344
Joined: 16 Aug 2003
Location: Arizona
Member #:00002
Probably more accurate would be that Nikon has stayed with the same bayonet over the decades, the rest of the mount has changed dramatically over time making various lens/body combinations incompatible and really leaving a bit of a compatibility mess. Even current E lenses are not compatible with some Nikon camera bodies that were current just a couple of years ago...
 

by aolander on Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:04 am
aolander
Forum Contributor
Posts: 235
Joined: 03 Jul 2004
Yes, they're not compatible because there are no electrical contacts coupled with the fact that a "G" lens has no aperture ring. Lenses with aperture rings can be used by manually setting the aperture via the lens ring.
Alan Olander
Minnesota
 

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:01 am
User avatar
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Posts: 80344
Joined: 16 Aug 2003
Location: Arizona
Member #:00002
aolander wrote:
Yes, they're not compatible because there are no electrical contacts coupled with the fact that a "G" lens has no aperture ring.  Lenses with aperture rings can be used by manually setting the aperture via the lens ring.


That's why most people use the Kenko tubes - they do have the pass through electronics.
 

Display posts from previous:  Sort by:  
11 posts | 
  

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group