All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 9 posts | 
by James Vellozzi on Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:01 pm
James Vellozzi
Forum Contributor
Hi
I been with the same Nikon 500 VR for over 10 years now. While I do not have a problem getting close to birds, I feel Its time to treat myself to a new lens.
My current 500, the AF is squeaky and slow. 

Can anyone recommend a place where i can make this purchase? I live in CT and buying it from B&H photo in New York City is one option. I was wondering if you know of other options / retailers.

Lastly I would like to sell my 500. KEH ranges about $2500-3200. Does this sound fair? Thanks for your input.

James
James Vellozzi
www.jamesvellozzi.com

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:27 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I much prefer MPB to KH. KEH has acquired a terrible habit over the last couple of years of telling you one thing before you ship it and then lowballing you once they receive the gear. MPB also seems to be a lot faster. As for where to buy, there are many reputable dealers and the price is likely the same wherever you get it from, the differences being whether that establishment collects sales tax for your state or not.

by James Vellozzi on Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:18 pm
James Vellozzi
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:I much prefer MPB to KH.  KEH has acquired a terrible habit over the last couple of years of telling you one thing before you ship it and then lowballing you once they receive the gear.  MPB also seems to be a lot faster.  As for where to buy, there are many reputable dealers and the price is likely the same wherever you get it from, the differences being whether that establishment collects sales tax for your state or not.

Thanks so much E.J.. 
James
James Vellozzi
www.jamesvellozzi.com

by Wildflower-nut on Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:24 am
Wildflower-nut
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:I much prefer MPB to KH.  KEH has acquired a terrible habit over the last couple of years of telling you one thing before you ship it and then lowballing you once they receive the gear.  MPB also seems to be a lot faster.  As for where to buy, there are many reputable dealers and the price is likely the same wherever you get it from, the differences being whether that establishment collects sales tax for your state or not.
who is mbp.  I assume kh is keh.

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:53 am
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
MPB not MBP - simply go to their website... mpb.com

by Tim Zurowski on Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:30 pm
Tim Zurowski
Forum Contributor
James, when you do end up selling your 500 f4 VR, could you please post back here and tell us what you got for it? I have had my 500 f4 VR for sale over a month now here locally, and not one person of interest for it at all. I would also be interested in knowing how you sold it and to whom, especially if it is MPB.com.

Does anyone know if I can sell a Canadian lens to MPB?

by E.J. Peiker on Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:16 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Tim Zurowski wrote:Does anyone know if I can sell a Canadian lens to MPB?
EU and USA only currently!

by Alan Murphy on Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:12 pm
Alan Murphy
Lifetime Member
Member #:00014
James,

Call Brandon at Allen's camera in PA. 888-547-2841. Best service and price.
Alan Murphy
NSN 0014
www.alanmurphyphotography.com

by calvin1calvin on Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:43 pm
calvin1calvin
Forum Contributor
Member #:00184
As stated above there are plenty of reputable retailers and the prices are similar. If you can purchase from a dealer that grants free shipping and no sales tax you save a lot of money. Another option is to find a refurbished lens from a reputable dealer and that saves money. I purchased my refurbished Nikon 600 VR lens from Roberts Imaging in Indianapolis and saved approximately 1000 dollars over purchasing new. I have owned the lens for 4 years and never had a problem and I use it 2-3 times per week. Just another option.

9 posts |