All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 24 posts | 
by E.J. Peiker on Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:33 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Kerry wrote:I was caught out of town unexpectedly when the lens arrived last week; just got back today and had a few moments to mess around with it.  I"m going to do some more extensive testing over the next few days but earlier today (using the same D800E body) I set both the new lens and the 24-70 G up at 24 mm, f/7.1 on a tripod, MLU, cable release, very careful manual focus using LV and took a couple of shots of books on a bookshelf.  Again, this is preliminary, but I'm hard pressed to see any difference in sharpness between the two in the center of the image circle (with MF on the center).  The corners, however, are another matter entirely;  the Sigma 24-35 is significantly sharper (again, with MF on subject matter in the same corner with both lenses).

I'll extend this test throughout both the compatible focal range and aperture settings beginning at 2.8 and see if this rule of thumb holds true.
Exactly what I would expect, the G version of the 24-70 is a bit weak in the corners, the E version would probably be much closer to a tie.

by Kerry on Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:47 pm
Kerry
Forum Contributor
Tim Zurowski wrote:Kerry, make sure you AFFT the lens before you do any tests and make any judgments.

I'm doing all of these tests using manual focus (in part because that's how I use lenses in this focal range 99.99% of the time.  Assuming I keep the lens, I'll look into AF fine tuning.  (I do have the Sigma dock, incidentally--it was a throw-in with the lens.)

by Kerry on Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:53 pm
Kerry
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:Exactly what I would expect, the G version of the 24-70 is a bit weak in the corners, the E version would probably be much closer to a tie.
Everything I've read about the E version of the 24-70 is that it's less sharp than the G in the center but notably sharper in the corners, so there's much less disparity...but also less sharpness in the sharpest part of the image circle.

by E.J. Peiker on Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:55 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
Kerry wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:Exactly what I would expect, the G version of the 24-70 is a bit weak in the corners, the E version would probably be much closer to a tie.
Everything I've read about the E version of the 24-70 is that it's less sharp than the G in the center but notably sharper in the corners, so there's much less disparity...but also less sharpness in the sharpest part of the image circle.
Wide open that's true, marginally, at more normal apertures, you'd be hard pressed to be able to measure a difference.

24 posts |