« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 42 posts | 
by Primus on Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:45 am
Primus
Lifetime Member
Member #:02003
E.J. Peiker wrote:Pradeep, there is a Sony FE 100-400 that is very very good!

Yes, I ordered mine as soon as it was announced but it was not available when I went to Namibia. Got it on my return.

I've done extensive testing with it, comparing it to my Canon 100-400. It is indeed slightly sharper but not that much.  I got two copies, both were identical in sharpness. The other thing is that the Canon stays at f4.5 until 300mm whereas the Sony goes to f5.6 at that length. 

Of course when mounted on the A9, focus with the Sony lens is instantaneous and accurate while the Canon through the Metabones not good enough for any action photography.

Overall a really welcome addition to the Sony stable. 

On a different note, the 12-24 f4 from Sony is truly a delightful lens. I took it to China last month and was very pleased with the results. 

Pradeep

by Primus on Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:30 am
Primus
Lifetime Member
Member #:02003
Neilyb wrote:Yes, I read the 15-stops with some cynicism but the the joystick alone makes the camera way more user friendly. Not sure how useful pixel shift will be, anything moving will mean it shall not work, so any kind of wind in a landscape scene will scupper it.

Look forward to the pricing of the 400mm :o

Neil, there is another option for hand-held shooting. In fact this only works hand held with the slight movements that occur off a tripod. Can also do on a tripod but ideally you need to 'bump' the tripod a little between shots to move the sensor a fraction.

Basically you take 8-12 (or more) shots in rapid succession of the same scene and then combine them as layers in photoshop, align them, convert to smart object, run the median filter as a stack and it creates an image four times the size of a single one in terms of resolution. It actually also reduces noise in the process. There are a couple of different ways to do it.

Plenty of YT videos on this technique. 

Of course the pixel-shift does it all in camera, so it may be easier. 

As far as movement is concerned it remains a problem with the method, but if it is minimal as in a landscape scene then it may not matter. Just like the movement of a few tree branches or leaves in the wind on a long-exposure of a waterfall or other scenic is 'acceptable'. 

Will be interesting to try for sure.

Pradeep

42 posts |