Mike in O
Forum Contributor
New directive from TSA
https://www.dpreview.com/news/791885298 ... s#comments

by E.J. Peiker on Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:24 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
LiIon batteries are already banned from checked luggage. How is this different?

by Mike in O on Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:53 pm
Mike in O
Forum Contributor
E.J. Peiker wrote:LiIon batteries are already banned from checked luggage.  How is this different?
Cameras and other electronic devises can not be checked...battery or not (the way I understand it)

by adamsti on Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:09 pm
adamsti
Forum Contributor
Mike in O wrote:
E.J. Peiker wrote:LiIon batteries are already banned from checked luggage.  How is this different?
Cameras and other electronic devises can not be checked...battery or not (the way I understand it)

I would never check my gear. Who wants them throwing your stuff around. I don't see this as a problem.
http://www.timadamsphotography.com

by Ed Cordes on Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:16 am
Ed Cordes
Forum Contributor
Member #:00700
Of course, as the rules on laptops and cameras, etc. are enforced the challenge of getting enough overhead baggage space for our gear will become harder. Many of the non serious photography public will have more "stuff" to carry on. Another reason to buy seats with priority boarding. The issue of the smaller regional jets where our bags are more often than not gate checked also presents a challenge to passengers as well as the airline staff. When passengers stop to remove things from their carry on bags prior to gate checking will create another delay. Oh well, we will adapt - we always have.
Remember, a little mild insanity keeps us healthy

by James W. Milligan on Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:13 pm
James W. Milligan
Lifetime Member
Member #:00249
Ed Cordes wrote:Of course, as the rules on laptops and cameras, etc. are enforced the challenge of getting enough overhead baggage space for our gear will become harder.  Many of the non serious photography public will have more "stuff" to carry on.  Another reason to buy seats with priority boarding.  The issue of the smaller regional jets where our bags are more often than not gate checked also presents a challenge to passengers as well as the airline staff. When passengers stop to remove things from their carry on bags prior to gate checking will create another delay.  Oh well, we will adapt - we always have.
Overhead is already an issue.I have priority on AA which puts you in group 5 boarding. By the time I board the overhead space is already crammed in the first 12 rows.

People boarding before me will often plop there stuff in the first available space and then go to their seat. I always purchase seats with extended leg room which puts you in the front of the cabin but does mean there will be overhead space. However,I did find that the newer aircraft seem to have larger overheads.

It would also help if the check-in agents would screen the oversized baggage that people tote on aboard. Oh well I guess we will have to adapt. 

6 posts |