Moderator: E.J. Peiker

All times are UTC-05:00

« Previous topic | Next topic »  
Reply to topic  
 First unread post  | 5 posts | 
by miker on Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:21 pm
miker
Forum Contributor
Would it be better to get an IR 665 or 720nm conversion or a full spectrum conversion on my a6000?  I'm a little confused in that if I'd get a full spectum conversion would I still have to use an external filter like a 72r for IR as well as a filter for visible light.  If I'd have to use an external filter for IR, wouldn't I be back to the long exposures  I have now with a Hoya r72?  I don't have any old camera to convert so it seems to make some sense to get a full spectum conversion.
Michael Rubin

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:37 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
I have a 665 and a 720. 720 is great for B&W but it's difficult to extract very much color out of it without some processing heroics. 665 is much easier to extract color out of and you can easily do high contrast B&W if you want to in post. If I were to get a third camera converted I would go with 590nm as it makes both color and B&W very easy. I would not do a full spectrum for the reasons you cite unless you want to have just one camera for normal color as well as IR. When I did the 3 day Lifepixel class, I got pretty convinced that 590 is the way to go for maximum IR flexibility - it's what they call Super Color.

by miker on Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:01 pm
miker
Forum Contributor
Very interesting. Can I get a 590nm external filter to try on my camera before making a decision to convert it?
Michael Rubin

by E.J. Peiker on Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:55 pm
E.J. Peiker
Senior Technical Editor
Member #:00002
miker wrote:Very interesting.  Can I get a 590nm external filter to try on my camera before making a decision to convert it?
I don't know but it would not simulate getting a camera converted to 590 even remotely.  In a 590nm conversion you have relatively constant light collection capability from 590nm well into the infrared spectrum.  If you just put a 590nm filter on a visible light camera you will have a camera that is really good in visible spectrum orange and red but then drops off significantly into the infrared spectrum due to the IR cut filter on the sensor.  That would basically be an orange and red camera with dramatically lower IR sensitivity compared to orange and red.  So they aren't at all similar in light response.

This page may help.  Note that you can click on the rows to get more info and DL a RAW file from each filter:
https://www.lifepixel.com/infrared-filters-choices

by SantaFeJoe on Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:08 pm
SantaFeJoe
Forum Contributor
Regarding your question about long exposures after a full-spectrum conversion using an external IR filter, you would NOT have long exposures because you would no longer have the IR block filter in place. You will probably need to use live view or else focus first and then attach the filter. Otherwise, the view will be very dark.

Joe
Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.  -Pablo Picasso

5 posts |